Decorating By YOUnique_Cakes Updated 2 Sep 2010 , 12:44am by ambermbauman

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 12:03am
post #31 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUnique_Cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babarooskie

Good luck with that last request! I doubt (but I could be wrong) that a professional "Cake Artist" will admit that he or she sold AT LEAST 1 cake from their home. icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm sure most of these professional "Cake Artist" started from home or baked at home. Plus that makes the rest of us sound below them somehow. I have seen some amazing "Cake Artist" that design everything at home and sell from their home. I don't like this separation between those who bake at home and those who own shops. As if somehow they are better "Cake Artist" . I may have taken that wrong but that's how that type of thing always comes across when it is phrased like that.

Please don't take my post the wrong way.. I was just simply stating that I believe some professionals won't admit that they started from home or sold a cake from home. However, I could be wrong and some just may admit it...

I know that Duff started in his apartment and selling cakes too.

Rachel5370 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel5370 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 12:20am
post #32 of 33

The issue of home kitchen vs commercial kitchen is a food safety concern. It's not about talent, money or morality. I don't even think it's about tax evasion. I just think people should understand more about health dept regulations and food safety before they go and argue for home kitchens producing food for sale. It's not just about keeping a "clean". I have a pretty good understanding of food safety, but I have a toddler, 3 teenagers and a dog- so I don't feel confident selling food I make at home. I rent a commercial kitchen for $12.65 and hour, until I get my bakery open. I don't make much profit, but it's how I get practice and develop recipes. (I'm sort of new to cake decorating, but was a pastry chef for years) It's up to each individual whether or not they obey the law. If you get caught (at least in my state) you are permanently ineligible for a food license. Plus fines and such. Just assess the risk for yourselves, and decide from there. When I open my bakery, I may be willing to help out some part time cake decorator with a cheap rental rate. This person would have to be knowelegeable about food safety though- because if it comes out of my kitchen- I'm liable. A home kitchen could be safe, if the person running it is educated in food safety regs- just like people in charge of commercial kitchens are required to to be.

ambermbauman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ambermbauman Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 12:44am
post #33 of 33

I can definitely see both sides to this. On one hand I know I would instinctively question food coming from someone's home I don't know. Who knows what they're doing or how much education they have on food safety. But on the other, I feel like a home-based business is very possible, but only with a separate kitchen, which some states do allow. I don't think most home bakers are thinking "ha ha I don't have to pay taxes". They just want to bake and make a living. I watch Foodnetwork all the time, and I hear a lot of success stories of people who started out at home. We all think we are the exception to the rules, and that we know what we are doing and won't mess up. I've worked in a restaurant and been a servsafe manager for years so I know a lot about food safety and I'm always very conscience of cross-contamination, etc. That doesn't mean I'm perfect an would never screw up. I would love to be able to have a home-based business, but the truth of it is the kitchen really does need to be separate from the home, and I don't own my home, therefore I can't "turn my garage into a commercial kitchen". Yes, I've seen people in restaurants not wash hands, talk on their cell while preparing food, take out trash and then touch food, I've seen a lot! (and addressed it). And chances are, other people saw it, too. When you're in your home, you may take every step to ensure all rules are followed, but what happens when you leave the room and your child comes in the kitchen after going to the bathroom, not washing hands, and decides to sample the icing and someone gets sick? There's no extra eyes around to see that. Yes, it sucks that we're all just trying to make a living and don't expect things to go wrong, but they do. There are rules for a reason, not just so the government can pocket more money.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%