Icing A 3D Cake

Decorating By kiwiaussie Updated 1 Sep 2010 , 5:07pm by DianeLM

kiwiaussie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwiaussie Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 4

Okay, this is my first post, and while I have made quite a few birthday cakes over the years (I have 7 daughters), I don't really have a clue what I am doing.
My youngest is having a Wiggles party on Saturday, and I want to do a 3D Dorothy the Dinosaur cake.
But with every 3D cake I have made in the past, I just can't get the icing to go on right.
What are the secrets? What sort of icing should I use? Do I need to use anything under the icing?
I am thinking of making a real tutu to have the cake 'wearing', so something like fondant is probably best.
Also, I've never seen RKT used in cake decorating before. (as I said, I am a complete novice!) Could I use this to make Dorothy's head? Or would it be easier to use a cake? And how do you work with it? Do you make a bar and carve it, or can you just mold it to shape with your hands?
Does anyone have any pictures of how I can go about the whole thing? Any good Dorothy cakes I can look at by any chance?
TIA
Carolyn

3 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 4

Here is the results of gallery search for Dorothy the dinosaur cakes here on Cake Central. I'm sure if you read the comments below the cakes and/or PM the creators, you'll get some of the advice you're looking for.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&meta=search&type=full&search=dorothy+the+dinosaur&album=-&search_user=

kiwiaussie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwiaussie Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for that. Just having a quick look through. Are there any tutorials on putting the icing onto a 3D cake?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 5:07pm
post #4 of 4

I don't know of any tutorials on icing 3D cakes. You may want to search Youtube.

When I make 3D cakes, I chill the cake to make it firmer for carving. Then, I chill again briefly so the outside is firm while I apply a crumbcoat of thinned icing. I sometimes use a paintbrush to get into tight spaces.

Once the crumbcoat is on, I apply the final layer of icing. I prefer to use a crusting bc that I can go over with a Viva paper towel.

Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%