2Tone Buttercream That Looks Like Fondant?

Decorating By barnes113 Updated 1 Sep 2010 , 1:42pm by Cookie4

barnes113 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barnes113 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:07am
post #1 of 11

i have a 10 year anniversary cake to do, she really likes this cake but she doesn't like the taste of fondant i really are new to working with it is there any way that i could do this cake with buttercream and do u guys know of any techniques i could use to make it thanks in advance.....
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1743663.html

10 replies
barnes113 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:43am
post #2 of 11

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP ANYONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
ANYTHINGGGGGGGGGGGGGG icon_lol.gificon_cry.gif PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 4:19am
post #3 of 11

YESSSSSSSSSS! ICE IT WITH BUTTERCREAM, DRAPE THE FONDANT STRIPS ACROSS THE TOP, AND PEEL IT OFF BEFORE EATING IT! THAT'S THE ONLY WAY SHE'S GOING TO GET THIS LOOK.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 4:33am
post #4 of 11

I've got an idea that I think will work perfectly for you.

1. Crumb coat the entire cake (separate tiers of course),

2. Ice the Chocolate two sides and top with buttercream and don't worry if the chocolate gets on the other two sides that will be white.

3. Measure the sides: Height and width and mark it onto waxed paper.

4. Turn the marked side of the paper over (no ink on the top side),

5. Spread the waxed paper with buttercream icing and don't worry about staying in the lines,

6. Freeze the design (as in a Frozen Buttercream Transfer technique),

7. Remove from freezer and using a knife/exacto blade cut from the bottom side of the waxed paper using your tracing marking as a guide,

8. Remove the remaining waxed paper (if the buttercream has started to thaw refreeze again until solid),

9. Apply with slight pressure onto the sides of the cake.

Voila! a Totally covered two toned buttercream covered cake.

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 4:34am
post #5 of 11

Even if it was possible to do in buttercream it would mean serving black buttercream - not appetising and people won't want to get black teeth... I'd tell her to go with fondant - maybe suggest starting with a chocolate fondant and colouring black so the taste is more appealing?

Cookie4 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 4:38am
post #6 of 11

Here's a link for the Frozen Buttercream Transfer Technique.

http://cakecentral.com/articles/73/how-to-create-a-frozen-buttercream-transfer

barnes113 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 4:53am
post #7 of 11

@cookie4 icon_biggrin.gif THANK U SOOOOOOO MUCH I BOW DOWN TO YOU CAKE GODDESS I NEVER EVEN THOUGHT OF A BUTTER CREAM TRANSFER MY ONLY THOUGHT IS DO U THINK THAT IT WILL SAY UP I MEAN I GOING TO USE THE SPS SYSTEM AND I DONT WANT A PANEL OF WHITE FROSTING TO FALL OVER,
@ BUNSEN I HAVE TOLD HER ABOUT THE BLACK FROSTING AND THE TEETH THING AND SHE COULD CARE LESS SHE WANTS NO FONDANT AT ALL icon_mad.gif

barnes113 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 6:53am
post #8 of 11

@cookie4 icon_biggrin.gif THANK U SOOOOOOO MUCH I BOW DOWN TO YOU CAKE GODDESS I NEVER EVEN THOUGHT OF A BUTTER CREAM TRANSFER MY ONLY THOUGHT IS DO U THINK THAT IT WILL SAY UP I MEAN I GOING TO USE THE SPS SYSTEM AND I DONT WANT A PANEL OF WHITE FROSTING TO FALL OVER,
@ BUNSEN I HAVE TOLD HER ABOUT THE BLACK FROSTING AND THE TEETH THING AND SHE COULD CARE LESS SHE WANTS NO FONDANT AT ALL icon_mad.gif

yummymummycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummycakes Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 7:04am
post #9 of 11

barnes113 - I am not sure if you are aware bit using capitals is equivilent to SHOUTING in real life.

Hope the cake works out for you.

barnes113 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 7:04am
post #10 of 11

so u think i could put the sides on and they would be strong enough to sit up, i'm just scared that once i put the sides of the bct up they might fall, am i being to worried i'm sort of a worry wart icon_eek.gif

Cookie4 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 1:42pm
post #11 of 11

No, I don't think the sides will fall off at all. When you remove the piece from the freezer and cut out the design you could re-freeze then using a spatula spread a thin coat of buttercream on the underside, press onto the cake (maybe even use a fondant smoother to apply a little more pressure) and then remove the waxed paper.

As for the black color I agree that it will make teeth turn black. You might want to talk to your client about going with a dark chocolate color instead.

I would make a small dummy covered cake first with the FBT and see how it holds to the sides. You can purchase styrofoam dummies from a cake supply store, or use a square styrofoam from the hobby store and cover it with press-n-seal plastic wrap first then apply the buttercream. This makes cleanup a snap.

Best wishes for a successful outcome.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%