More Pregnant Lady

Decorating By BabymeRN Updated 1 Sep 2010 , 12:37pm by BabymeRN

BabymeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabymeRN Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 5

I too am trying to make the pregnant lady cake topper. Maybe too much for a newbie, but I have determination. I have come up with a pretty good figurine, but am having trouble with the clothing. The "people" tutorials I have seen all make the body out of the clothing color, but I want to dress the figurine for the draping effect. Any hint on how to get the right size and connect front and back without ending up with messy seams. I am thinking of purchasing the Aine2 tutorial, but her mommy is leaning against the cake, so I'm not sure if her clothing goes all the way around. Does anybody know? Thanks for any help. I've learned so much on this site!

4 replies
shamu874 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shamu874 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 1:14am
post #2 of 5

Hi actually made a pregnant lady and i did her in segments. i did her head separately, made the body, made legs and arms. I started adding the clothes and I placed them all around. Then I attached the arms so the seems can be hidden. Below is an image:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31155378&l=c700bd117b&id=54902644

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31155379&l=af4c0fcd75&id=54902644

hope this helps.

vevmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vevmom Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 1:19am
post #3 of 5

Well, I am also a newbie, but I discovered after many tries that if I cut a big circle out of colored fondant and used a circle cut out for neckline and then two smaller holes for arms, I could lift dress over her headless body. The dress draped around her in beautiful folds and looks actually pretty lovely. I used a tool to make the dress an empire waist and also cut a pattern around the neckline. Actually I liked this part the best. Her poor face needs more work. Good luck. I also have determination - like a good challenge. Hope this helps.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 5:46am
post #4 of 5

I've made 2 prego figures and both times used paper to make a pattern for the tops, one had sleeves and one didn't. You'll have to trim as you go to get a more precise look, but having a pattern to start helps a whole lot!

(the bottoms were not separate from the body)

BabymeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabymeRN Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 12:37pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much for the advice. Can't wait to give it another try. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%