Rolled Buttercream ??

Decorating By Yankie Updated 31 Aug 2010 , 9:54pm by KTB4

Yankie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yankie Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 5:26am
post #1 of 15

I had never heard of rolled Buttercream, apparently is much softer than fondant and very shinny.

I have a recipe and would like some feedback as to how easy it is to use..thanks!!

14 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 5:48am
post #2 of 15

That depends on what you want to do with it. I've read posts from members here who cover cakes with it, and some have made small figures with it.

Have you ever tasted it? It tastes like candy corn - very, very sweet.

I have only ever used it when I took a figure sculpting class at an ICES event years ago. I do not recommend it for making figures, as the recipe we worked with would not hold it's shape, even after it cooled down from working it with our hands.

I am not fond of it, but don't let my words discourage you. There are several members here who have posted that they like working with it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

jamielu23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamielu23 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 6:04am
post #3 of 15

I use rolled bottercream for all my cakes and I have found it is a lot harder to work with than fondant. But my friends and family like the taste of it sooo much more so I cotiune to use it.

Yankie Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 6:05am
post #4 of 15

Playingwithsugar:

I have never tasted it..I found a recipe today and i was wondering how it works...maybe I'll make some just to see how it is...thanks so much!

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 6:23am
post #5 of 15

Duff's fondant is a buttercream fondant as well as Fondarific (same as Duff's fondant) Satin Ice just came out w/a buttercream fondant. Homemade is good, yes sweet, but most people like it. Not hard to make.

Yankie Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 3:04pm
post #6 of 15

Playingwithsugar:

I have never tasted it..I found a recipe today and i was wondering how it works...maybe I'll make some just to see how it is...thanks so much!

SweetDreamsBoutique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreamsBoutique Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 4:06pm
post #7 of 15

I have used Duff's and noticed that it is VERY soft and doesn't firm up like rolled fondant. I'd be interested in trying to make some. Is it a recipe from CC?

Yankie Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 4:25pm
post #8 of 15

Sweetdreamsboutique:

Actually is from this website i found yesterday fromkarenskitchen.com. This website has alot of recipes..really good ones too..check it out...and the rolled buttercream is one of them..here is the recipe:

Rolled Buttercream

Rolled buttercream is a softer covering than rolled fondant. It is also more shinny which may not be appropriate for all wedding cakes. Rolled Buttercream stands up to heat, and keeps well in the refrigerator if tightly wrapped. Cakes covered with rolled buttercream can be decorated with royal or buttercream icing.

Yield
Enough to cover a 10" x 4" high cake

Ingredients
1 cup solid vegetable shortening
1 cup light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
2 pounds sifted confectioners (powdered) sugar
1/2 teaspoon popcorn salt (fine grain salt)

Directions
Place shortening and corn syrup in mixing bowl and beat until creamy. Add flavorings and salt. Beat until blended. Add confectioners sugar and blend thoroughly. The mixture will be very stiff. Place icing on work surface and knead until smooth and well blended.

Storage
Store icing in sealed plastic bag then place bag in airtight container. Icing can be refrigerated for several weeks or frozen for several months.

SweetDreamsBoutique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreamsBoutique Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 5:01pm
post #9 of 15

THANK YOU! I will definitely give it a try. icon_smile.gif

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 5:22pm
post #10 of 15

I have used it for cakes, it can be difficult if the cake is large, I have also shaped figures with it and they turned out great (infact mil still has them 5 months later) but I added a packed of clear gelitan to it.

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 5:45pm
post #11 of 15

I use it a lot. That recipe looks like Marsha Winbecklers recipes, or very close to it. She has a book on it.

I wouldn't say it's harder to work with, just very different if you are used to fondant. You must use a vinyl mat to roll it out, it's very soft so will tear easily, but it repairs also so you can't even tell. For large cakes, I cover half the cake, then the other half and smooth the seam until it's gone, very easy. To get rid of the shine, I just put some powdered sugar on my hands and smooth over the icing (once it's on the cake). It wil dull the shine.

It is very important to use a high ration shortening or the icing will be way too soft, shiney and greasy. Crisco doesn't work any more since they changed their recipe. I also use the lemon and orange extract or loran oils to cut the sweetness and give a nice citrus flavor.

Love the Fondarific!

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 5:46pm
post #12 of 15

Yankie, thanks for the web site. It does have a lot of good recipes.

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 6:19pm
post #13 of 15

Can the rolled buttercream be frozen like regular buttercream?

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 7:38pm
post #14 of 15

Absolutely thumbs_up.gif

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 9:54pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetflowers

Absolutely thumbs_up.gif

Ooh I hope you're responding to my question. That makes me very happy icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%