Brenda45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brenda45 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 12:30am
post #1 of 6

Can anyone tell me how to pack or box a cake to take on airplane PLZ

5 replies
KonfectionKonnection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KonfectionKonnection Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:20am
post #2 of 6

According to a demo my DH went to at ICES last year, if you want to use it as one of your carry-ons the box can be no bigger than 16 inches by 16 inches, w/ a maximum height of 9 inches--and be able to tilt up to 45 degrees to get it under the seat. (Although if you can take the time to put it down near the aisle and slide it across, you won't have to tip it nearly as much.)

I took a dummy cake to ICES in San Diego this year, based on this information and it worked well, although I kept to 12"x12" to be safe. I used a stiff cardboard box that exactly fit the cake board I had the cake on--so no sliding. Even so, I put one of those rubber no-skid mats underneath. I did keep the decorations rather simple to avoid having many repairs once I got there.

The only trouble I had was on the way back. I had taken a class on Oriental Strings and only had a regular cake box for the return. One of the women working security must have had a bad day (or hates her job) as she took it out of the bin and slammed it down on the belt. When I asked her to please be careful (very politely) she picked it up and slammed it down again a little closer to the scanner. icon_cry.gif You guessed--broke most of the strings. Still haven't figured out what her problem was. (She even took my shoes out of the bin and slammed them down--even though the people ahead of and behind me had their shoes in the bins.)
I think she is probably an exception, as everyone else was friendly and/or curious about the cakes that we ran into.

DerrellC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DerrellC Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:37am
post #3 of 6

Hi Konfection... Don't you wish you could have just slapped her?? My last trip to Vegas,I asked for hand inspection on a clear ziplock bag FULL of ASA 25 film,I had shot while there. Took 5 of the rocket sciensts to figure out what I was talking about !! Makes you wonder just how safe we are flying.

KonfectionKonnection Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 4:05am
post #4 of 6

Exactly! I kept wishing I had gone back to get her name--but I was just so stunned, and then who would you tell (that would care)? I tried to tell myself that the breakage would at least force me to practice, as it bothered me until I got home and had time to fix it.

Brenda45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brenda45 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 5:40pm
post #5 of 6

thank you knofection.. I really hate to hear how u got treated that was so very wrong. it would still bother me. I would have to consider talking to her manager to improve her customer service. Thank you again

KonfectionKonnection Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 8:22pm
post #6 of 6

It's OK--I'm sure you'll have better luck. And it did force me to practice a new technique, as I came home, removed the rest of the strings and re-did it. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%