Trying To Get Realistic Looking Gumpaste Figures

Decorating By KayMc Updated 30 Aug 2010 , 1:54am by KayMc

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 7

There are a lot of books on how to make realistic looking flowers. I have a couple, and I'm working on that. However, I also want to make realistic looking other figures, too. I have a book of Alan Dunn's, where in addition to his flowers which are to die for, he has a little mouse that doesn't look cartoon-ish in the least. I've tried - couple of attempts, and mine look cartoonish. Well, the first mouse looked like a teddy bear. The second mouse is obviously a mouse, but looks like it belongs in a cartoon.

Does anyone know of any books/DVDs that could help me with this? I'm not in the position to take a class for the rest of 2010 between travelling with my job, and upcoming surgery on me, so I was hoping for a self-learning technique.

Thanks in advance................Kay

6 replies
emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 7

Sorry I don't have a good answer for you, but what I usually do is surround myself with pictures of what I want to duplicate from different angles. I've found that making figurines out of colored fondant works best for cartoony stuff, but when I want something realistic, I just make it in white fondant/gumpaste and then paint it later.

HTH!

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 7

You should definately Go for lorraine mcKays tutorials, Aine_2 , she has her own website . . Extra icing art i think it is, and she has AWesome tutorials for doing people icon_smile.gif x

sjc0858 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjc0858 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 10:01pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caths_Cakes

You should definately Go for lorraine mcKays tutorials, Aine_2 , she has her own website . . Extra icing art i think it is, and she has AWesome tutorials for doing people icon_smile.gif x

SHe is awesome!!! I made my first gumpaste figures with the help of one of her tutorials and it turned out amazing.

Vanaya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanaya Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 10:18pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caths_Cakes

Another Vote for Lorraine McKay's toturials are the best for making realistic looking figures. Here is her website http :/ / www . extraicing . co . uk/

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 10:32pm
post #6 of 7

I agree with Aine2's figure tutorials, but another resource I've found helpful is books on polymer clay sculpting. I have a couple books by Katherine Dewey and her stuff is very realistic and lifelike.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 1:54am
post #7 of 7

Thank you, everyone! I will try these references. Thanks again!

I did use white gumpaste, and color it later, but still looked like a cartoon. icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%