Modeling Chocolate Help Needed!

Baking By carmijok Updated 1 Sep 2010 , 8:58pm by lynndy-lou

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 8

I made my first batch of modeling chocolate and think I need help. I followed the recipe and it became very thick and formed a ball when I stirred it. Then I removed it to plastic wrap where it cooled and then put in the refrigerator. This morning I took it out and it was hard as a brick. I cracked a piece off and starting working with it and it warmed but it was not pliable or stretchy at all. It was like a handful of mud in it's consistency. Certainly didn't look like the videos I've seen. I tried rolling it out but it was greasy and stuck to my fondant roller.

I know it's not right, but I've never worked with the stuff before and don't really know how it's supposed to look, feel or what I can do to fix it, if anything. Help! (thanks)

7 replies
khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 8

When I make mine, it tends tobe lumped together as I stir in the corn syrup. I spread it on waxpaper about 1/2 inch thick for a couple of hours. Then I wrap it up in double saran wrap, but don't put it in the fridge. I'm not sure if the fridge part is the problem, but maybe. When I'm ready to use it it is typically very hard to start with, then softens as it is worked.

Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 8

I agree. I've never refrigerated mine either. I just needs to cool completely at room temperature. You might try microwaving it for just a few seconds. I haven't used it in a while because I finally found a fondant recipe that I liked the taste and learned to add Tylose and now I can do just about anything that I used to only make with modeling chocolate.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 8

THe recipe I use from CC also does not call to put in the frig. It "rests" for a couple hours. It does get a little hard, but workable very soon after I have it in my hands. I love the stuff!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 5:54pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

THe recipe I use from CC also does not call to put in the frig. It "rests" for a couple hours. It does get a little hard, but workable very soon after I have it in my hands. I love the stuff!

What is the consistency supposed to be? Mine is kind of like a tootsie roll...it's not as smooth as gumpaste or fondant...and it breaks off...no elasticity. I've actually mixed it with some fondant and it's working much better now...but I want to know if the modeling chocolate alone is supposed to stretch and smooth like fondant does. All the videos I've seen make it look it is.

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 9:00pm
post #6 of 8

That sounds about right, like a tootsie roll.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 1:45am
post #7 of 8

It does not stretch like fondant. My recipe has corn syrup and has some "stretch" to it but nothing like fondant. I can roll it out and also put it in my pasta machine, but you're not gonna get the same stretch as fondant. Mine is like a tootsie roll.

lynndy-lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynndy-lou Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 8:58pm
post #8 of 8

Is modeling chocolate the same as chocolate plastique? If it is I love the stuff I covered the cigarello cake in my pictures in white plastique cant wait to use it again. I wouldnt compare it to fondant because apart from being able to cover a cake in it the same as fondant it acts in a completely diferent way to fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%