Dummy Cake / Real Cake

Decorating By CakesByAdriana Updated 27 Aug 2010 , 2:08am by CakesByAdriana

CakesByAdriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByAdriana Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 1:15am
post #1 of 4

Hello

I will be making a barrel cake similar to this cake.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1341354.html

I don't need it this big. I am wondering if I can use a dummy cake and stack real cake on top?

Is this possible? Do I just stack as I normally would? Should I put cake boards between each cake?

Any help, tips, advise is greatly appreciated.

3 replies
dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 1:34am
post #2 of 4

Stack the dummies with a bit of piping gel, frosting or glues gun glue. Place the cake on a board and place on top of the dummies.

mygirlssweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mygirlssweet Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 1:37am
post #3 of 4

Yep. Stick the dummies together with gel or ri, but your real cake on a board and put it on top. Continue stacking the real layer as you woud another cake...remember supports for the other layers of real cake. Looking forward to seeing your finished cake!

CakesByAdriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByAdriana Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 2:08am
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much. I will post a picture.

So just to make sure I understand.

Place the dummie cake on the board using gel to stick. Then stack my real cakes on another board ... trim the board, (I should also add gel the the top of the dummy so that the board with the cake sticks to the dummy cake ... correct?) then place on the dummy. Ice the whole cake as I would normally. I use plastic dowels to support my cake. Now as long as I insert the dowels threw my real cakes that sure be OK ... right? I don't have to insert a dowel threw the dummy do I?

I think I got it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%