? Ribbon On Buttercream

Decorating By sandy1 Updated 2 Sep 2010 , 4:50pm by ddaigle

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 13

I tried the wax paper method of sealing the ribbon between two sheets of wax paper and ironing the wax onto the ribbon. When I attached the ribbon to the buttercream it started to soak up the grease. I had to remove it and coat it with shortening to make the ribbon even colored. The shortening caused the ribbon to darken in color. Is there any sure method of sealing ribbon so it doesn't soak up grease? TIA

12 replies
Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 10:45pm
post #2 of 13

What about applying contact paper to the back of the ribbon? I'm not sure if contact paper is "food-safe" though. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 13

Cut a strip of freezer paper the size of your ribbon, iron the shiny side down on your ribbon. It will stick and create a food-safe barrier. I tried this once and it worked really well.

sandy1 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 10:00pm
post #4 of 13

Do you iron directly on top of the freezer paper? Thanks

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 12:17am
post #5 of 13

Yep, I did. I guess I was just too lazy to get a towel or something but it worked just fine. HTH.

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 3:19am
post #6 of 13

I simply cut a strip of acetate same size as ribbon, place that on cake and wrap ribbon around that. It never lets grease soak through, and it's easy for server to remove when cutting, they never seem to mind and it doesn't show.

sandy1 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 11:36pm
post #7 of 13

I need both sides to be grease resistant. I have to put buttercream borders on the cakes. I'll try the freezer paper technique and cross my fingers that it works. Thanks

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 12:04am
post #8 of 13

I use ribbon all the time. I just let it completly soak. After 24 hours, you can't see any grease marks. It does, however, turn the original color darker, so you have to be prepared for that. I just did a cake today (Hydrangea) and it had purple ribbon. It completly got soaked...but completely, so you couldn't tell one bit. Just made the ribbon a darker purple.

fishabel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fishabel Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 11:27am
post #9 of 13

I use sticky tape on the inner side. It seals it so the buttercream can't get in.

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 3:36pm
post #10 of 13

I like the freezer paper trick! And Ddaigle, I didn't quite understand what you let the ribbon soak in? Could you explain more? That sounds easy too! Thanks!

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 5:25am
post #11 of 13

I cut strips of rice paper and apply it to the buttercream (I use SMBC so it doesn't crust). The rice paper slightly melts into the buttercream but leaves a layer to put ribbon/flowers onto it. Another trick I heard but have not tried is to paint a thin coat of piping gel over a refrigerated cake where you want to put the ribbon and it'll stick and not bleed.

fishabel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fishabel Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 6:37am
post #12 of 13

Sorry to sound a bit silly. BUT. What is freezer paper? Coming from Australia I'm not sure if we have it but called a different name. Is it greeseproof paper?

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 4:50pm
post #13 of 13

Sweekcakes....when I put my ribbon on, I can see the grease marks starting to show. I just keep on decorating. Eventually, the entire ribbon was soaked consistantly through. It made my purple (or whateve color) darker, but I know that going in. I work at a bakery where we do hundreds of ribbon wrapped cakes and we do no extra steps. Just wrap the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%