What Is The Best Way To Put Ribbon On Buttercream?

Decorating By Annie8 Updated 27 Aug 2010 , 6:51pm by aswartzw

Annie8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annie8 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 6

I have a bride who wants ribbon on a buttercream frosted cake. The ribbon she wants is red, the frosting with be ivory. i'm concerned about the bleed through. The ribbon is 100% polyester. I've read about wa paper and about press-n-seal plastic wrap on the back, but didn't know what works and what doesn't.

She also wants a buttercream beaded border around the front of the ribbon. Any techniques for this, too?

Thank you in advance for any help/advice you can give me.

Cheryl

5 replies
kristanashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristanashley Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:51pm
post #2 of 6

When I got married, I had a real ribbon on cake with a beaded border around it. We just stuck the ribbon right on and piped around it. It didn't bleed onto the cake at all. I would just say to make sure the buttercream is crusted when you put the ribbon on. But if you're really worried about the ribbon bleeding, the easiest thing I can think of would be to let the ribbon itself soak in salt water, rinse it, and let it dry. The salt will keep the colors from running.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 6

Either iron wax onto it or use double-sided tape to attach waxed paper and cut to size (I prefer the latter). Place around cake and use RI or BC to attach the ends.

You need to do this because ribbon is not food safe.

prayerwarrior Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prayerwarrior Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 6

Freezer paper has a wax side to it. Place the paper, wax side down on the ribbon and iron it. You can trim the ribbon and if you leave the freezer paper attached to the ribbon it will be firmer when placed on the cake.

GGFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GGFan Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 4:42pm
post #5 of 6

Can you put the ribbon on the same way if the cake is frost with Pastry Pride (non-dairy whipping cream)? Thank you!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 6:51pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGFan

Can you put the ribbon on the same way if the cake is frost with Pastry Pride (non-dairy whipping cream)? Thank you!

Yep!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%