Different Red Velvet

Decorating By jess213 Updated 15 Feb 2011 , 2:48pm by Way2Go

jess213 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess213 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 12

Hello..I'm new to the forums but I've used this website A LOT Here's my problem. My friend wants me to make him a cake. He wants red velvet cake with strawberry filling. I can do that not a problem BUT these are my questions

1.What icing would taste best- cream cheese, buttercream or a whipped icing? everytime i've seen red velvet its with cream cheese filling and icing, the strawberry is throwing me off a little

2.I bought the canned strawberry pie filling. Planning on making the cake tomorrow and he doesn't need it till Saturday..do i have to refrigerate with a canned filling once i add it to the cake?

I'm stumped and trying googling and everything for the right answers and haven't recieved anything. Please help...thank you very much! icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 12:51am
post #2 of 12

If you have canned pie filling-- be very careful to damn your cake well and don't use too much filling. Otherwise your cake may go slip sliding away!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 4:26am
post #3 of 12

I use Chef Steph's red velvet and a dreamy creamy white choc cream cheese icing (both are in recipes). It is a wonderful combo that I think would go great with strawberries. There are also some recipes for Fresh Strawberry filling in the recipe section . I've never used them but I may try now that you have given me the idea. Oh and search the forums because I read some posts about issues with leakage with strawberries -apparently there are some that are better to use than others. Good luck, please let us know how it turns out!

PS: You need to refrigerate the cream cheese icing.

bennett5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bennett5 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 4:43am
post #4 of 12

Yes, you should refridgerate anything w/a fruit filling and/or cream cheese icing. icon_razz.gif

Mexx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mexx Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 11:37pm
post #5 of 12

You can also mix some of your strawberry pie filling into your cream cheese frosting (or buttercream) and use that as your cake filling. You won't have the leakage problem and the strawberry flavour won't be as overwhelming.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 12:43am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexx

You can also mix some of your strawberry pie filling into your cream cheese frosting (or buttercream) and use that as your cake filling. You won't have the leakage problem and the strawberry flavour won't be as overwhelming.

Good idea!

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 1:05am
post #7 of 12

I know the usual icing for red velvet is cream cheese and I know strawberries and cream cheese are delicious.

I thought I might send you this icing recipe. I tried it and I liked it and it acts a lot like a crusting buttercream.

Good Luck, I hope this helps.

http://www.designmeacake.com/cccbc.html

ashleyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyj Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 4:57pm
post #8 of 12

I was wondering the same thing about red velvet cake w/strawberry filling.
I made a strawberry cream cheese filling last night for another cake that is delicious and I was wondering how this would taste with a red velvet cake I'm making tonight. If anyone has prepared red velvet this way would you please let me know how it turned out. I can't imagine that it wouldn't be good!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 5:06pm
post #9 of 12

The cooked flour frosting is a wonderful tasting frosting for red velvet cake. Many people use this , including me. You will see recipes on this site for it and all over the internet. Bobby flay has a great red velvet cake recipe with the frosting. hth

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 6:10pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexx

I do this a lot, and works very well!

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 6:12pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokazodo

I know the usual icing for red velvet is cream cheese and I know strawberries and cream cheese are delicious.

I thought I might send you this icing recipe. I tried it and I liked it and it acts a lot like a crusting buttercream.

Good Luck, I hope this helps.

http://www.designmeacake.com/cccbc.html

I agree! This is the cream cheese icing I use most often...it's delicious and so easy to smooth.

Way2Go Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Way2Go Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 2:48pm
post #12 of 12

I wonder if a stabilized whipped cream frosting would work in this recipe? Or maybe a mousse using cream cheese and whipped cream?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%