Rice Krispie/ Sculpting

Decorating By shimerin Updated 28 Oct 2014 , 12:11am by jackiecfromhb

shimerin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shimerin Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 9

Hi,
Rice krispie is the british name for the product, but does anyone know how to make rice krispies stick together so you have a solid foundation to build on vertical cake or so you can sculp on it, I have seen this being used on various cake decoration show but have never seen how it is made, I suspect some kind of glucose or glycerine.

Any help please welcome

I need this a.s.a.p.

Thanks

Shim icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 9

They are made with marshmallow and butter.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 9
Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 9

Not sure if your familiar with rice krispie treats, but its a mixture of melted marshmallows, vanilla & margarine (or butter), & then add rice krispies.
If you are just going to sculpt with this then I suggest to melt your marshmallows (desired amount) no real recipe to this then add enough rice krispies so that when you squeeze mixture in your hands it will hold its shape.
I don't add margarine to the mixture if I'm only using it to sculpt with & vanilla can be omitted as well however I add about 1 tsp. to my mix.
Some people crush the rice krispies up before adding it to the melted marshmallows so you get a smoother appearance from the moulded mixture.
Hope that helps. thumbs_up.gif

shimerin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shimerin Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 8:00pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks to all

Shim icon_smile.gif

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 11:03pm
post #6 of 9

You can also mix in melted white chocolate to the treats- it keeps the sculpted piece firm.

careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:13am
post #7 of 9

I have blended the cereal first, then add the marshmallows. It worked very well. The only disadvantage is you end up with less to work with, but it does leave a smooth finish. I have also seen on here that mixing the RKT with modeling chocolate makes it really easy to work with. I haven't tried this yet but if I was sculpting a difficult cake, I would probably try this method.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 6:51am
post #8 of 9

Combining modeling chocolate with RKT for new moldable mixture:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-623004-.html

HTH

jackiecfromhb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackiecfromhb Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 12:11am
post #9 of 9

Hi,

I have the same issue. I have an order for a very large Ice Hockey rick. My biggest problem was the goalie net. After watching a competition on Foodnetwork I borrowed this idea that seems to be working.

Mix marshmallows and rice Krispies as usual, while the block of product is drying shape it the way you need it, frost with buttercream and cover with fondant.  I don't have pictures yet but this seems to be working.

Tried making a giant cooking and cut the dough ahead of time, it broke

I tried to make hard candy, it cracked 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%