Paper Towel Holder - Dumb Idea?

Decorating By ConnieJ Updated 26 Aug 2010 , 4:38pm by ConnieJ

ConnieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieJ Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 6

Hi, everyone.

I'm making a Death Star grooms cake for my friend's wedding in November and thought of using a wooden paper towel holder as the base and middle support for the sphere. The type I'm thinking of is with a round base and the long middle dowel. I would have to remove the guide that is usually on one side.

Is this a bad idea? My experience with any type of tiered cakes is limited to just two simple tiers, not trying to support a sphere cake. I'm thinking a 10 inch diameter sphere cake. Any ideas would be wonderful as I'm starting to stress about the cake and want to practice.

5 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 6

I don't think the base of a paper towel holder will be wide enough. There would be danger of the whole thing tipping over, unless you glue it to a bigger, sturdier board.

I have made spheres using the Wilton half soccer ball pan on the top and bottom with a 9-inch round in between. I just hammered a 1/4" dowel down through the cake and into the base board for stability.

To make sure it's really well supported, cut a slice off the bottom piece of the sphere (which you should do anyway), insert a cake board in the center (either above or below the 9-inch round) and support that with a plastic dowel or hidden pillar. The center dowel can be driven through the inside of the plastic dowel.

ConnieJ Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I don't think the base of a paper towel holder will be wide enough. There would be danger of the whole thing tipping over, unless you glue it to a bigger, sturdier board.

I have made spheres using the Wilton half soccer ball pan on the top and bottom with a 9-inch round in between. I just hammered a 1/4" dowel down through the cake and into the base board for stability.

To make sure it's really well supported, cut a slice off the bottom piece of the sphere (which you should do anyway), insert a cake board in the center (either above or below the 9-inch round) and support that with a plastic dowel or hidden pillar. The center dowel can be driven through the inside of the plastic dowel.

Hi, Diane! Thanks for the feedback and the tip!

I failed to mention that i was going to use styrofoam for the bottom part of the sphere. Do you think that would still be an issue of stability?

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 6

just from a general physics stand point, the base should be the same size as your sphere if not larger

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 10:32pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Quote:

I failed to mention that i was going to use styrofoam for the bottom part of the sphere. Do you think that would still be an issue of stability?

Even more so! Now the cake will be top heavy.

How about this...

Place the paper towel holder on a piece of foamboard slightly smaller than the base board for the cake and trace around the base of the paper towel holder. (e.g., if the cake is going to be on a 12" round board, cut this board 10" in diameter). Cut out the hole and place the paper towel holder inside the hole.

Cut a smaller hole in another board, which will be the base board of the cake. Slip this board over the paper towel rod and glue to the paper towel base and first board.

The reason for the board around the base of the paper towel holder is to prevent tilting.

ConnieJ Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 4:38pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Quote:
Quote:

Even more so! Now the cake will be top heavy.

How about this...

Place the paper towel holder on a piece of foamboard slightly smaller than the base board for the cake and trace around the base of the paper towel holder. (e.g., if the cake is going to be on a 12" round board, cut this board 10" in diameter). Cut out the hole and place the paper towel holder inside the hole.

Cut a smaller hole in another board, which will be the base board of the cake. Slip this board over the paper towel rod and glue to the paper towel base and first board.

The reason for the board around the base of the paper towel holder is to prevent tilting.

i'll give that a shot!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%