Question About Wired Petals On Gumpaste Flowers

Decorating By wilsonar Updated 26 Aug 2010 , 4:00pm by Goldberry

wilsonar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wilsonar Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 1:01pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all! I'm looking for suggestions on how to keep the wired petals from moving around after you tape them onto the stem of a gumpaste flower?

Once all the petals are on and in place it looks great until I try to place it on the counter or a cake. On the side that is resting on the surface, all of the petals get pushed together. I was thinking that maybe putting some royal icing where each petal meets the stem might help, but wanted to see if there was a better method...

Thanks!

2 replies
deah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 3

Are you adding your petal to the bunch one at a time? I know I added several at once and had the same issue. For me, if I tape on each individual wire I can control the placement better.

Goldberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goldberry Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 3

wired petals will always move slightly but if you tape them to the flower individually you should get them fixed enough to hold their shape better. If you are really concerned with movement you may want to look at cheating a little and sticking the petals together (I tend not to do this) and just make the flowers have the impression that they are lying on the cake, rather than having their weight resting on it, have it so that they just touch the cake. I hope that this is helpful icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%