Why Vodka?

Decorating By cab333 Updated 24 Jan 2014 , 3:00am by Stephr29

cab333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cab333 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 2:58am
post #1 of 24

Hi Folks!
I know that I have read this quite a few times before in prior posts, when using petal dust and you want to "paint" it on you mix it with vodka to get the proper consistency. I am just wondering, why vodka? Hope this isn't a silly question...just found myself curious while doing my nightly reading! LOL!

23 replies
wakeandbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wakeandbake Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 3:05am
post #2 of 24

It dries alot faster and without alot of the stickiness you might get from clear vanilla or water.

au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 3:06am
post #3 of 24

I can't answer for caking reasons but Vodka evaporates very fast, has little taste (to me) and is perfectly clear. I'm curious to see the cake experts answers about why it's used for painting.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 3:06am
post #4 of 24

Clear flavorless alcohol. It dissolves the gel or dust to make a watercolor like consistency. Evaporates/dries quickly. Doesn't add or change the taste.

Kristy

helsbels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helsbels Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 3:10am
post #5 of 24

Vodka evaporates or dries fast and is basically tasteless. If you don't want to use vodka you can use a flavored extract like clear vanilla (the cheap stuff) but it doesn't dry as fast in my opinion. icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 3:10am
post #6 of 24

I actually prefer everclear, higher alcohol content = faster dry time. The less time your icing is wet the better...whether it is buttercream or fondant.

helsbels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helsbels Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 3:15am
post #7 of 24

Oh I hadn't thought of Everclear but thats a good idea. I like to buy the airplane size bottles of vodka that way I always have it in my kit for emergencies for a cake or the cake decorator depending how my day is going. LOL

Loucinda Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 3:19am
post #8 of 24

I actually have a small medicine bottle with a dropper in it to use too. (small and fits in my case) Then I have another one with a brush on the end of the lid! I have to get it in KY, you can't buy it here in Ohio.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 4:19am
post #9 of 24

Or you can use lemon juice if you prefer.

cab333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cab333 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 10:55am
post #10 of 24

Thanks Guys! icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 4:21pm
post #11 of 24

I'm an everclear girl myself!

But not everyone can get everclear so alot of people will use Vodka. I've also heard of using gin as well.

Monday night I had a friend came over and I had pulled out the new baby molds I got at the convention. Since I had some fondant handy I molded on, just to see how it would come out. He asked me if I could give it some eyes and stuff, I'm like sure. So I pulled out the airbrush colors to paint the eyes, then he wanted purple and I didn't like the purple I had in the airbrush colors, was looking more blue. Okay, I can work with this, "here pick up out purple you like out of these dusts" and off I go to get out the bottle of everclear. I grabbed a shot glass and poured a little in it. He looked at me, "Are you taking shots over there?" "Nope, everclear is just for cakes!" Now Vodka, that's for drinking in my house! icon_wink.gif

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 7:48pm
post #12 of 24

Just curious, but can you use clear rum when you don't have the other stuff? icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 8:14pm
post #13 of 24

It would depend on the percentage of alcohol in it. That is why everclear is so great, because it is so high. You leave a little bit of everclear sitting out, turn your back for 5 mins and look to see how much is left. icon_wink.gif

If it is a low percentage, then it will take longer for it to evaporate off.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 1:43am
post #14 of 24

At what type of store do you buy Everclear?

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 1:54am
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Or you can use lemon juice if you prefer.

I've used lemon extract on occasion, but never lemon juice. What are the advantages of that?

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 2:01am
post #16 of 24

Go au_decorator_76 you know your stuff icon_biggrin.gif

JadedJenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JadedJenn Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 2:05am
post #17 of 24

I just learned that the 190 proof Everclear is illegal here in Minnesota (and several other states). The 151 is ok though. Learn something new every day! icon_lol.gif

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 2:28am
post #18 of 24

Legal in GA, as far as I know...so how many bottles do I need to mail out?

Loucinda Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 2:37am
post #19 of 24

It is illegal in Ohio too, I go to KY to get mine.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 2:44am
post #20 of 24

The reason Everclear is illegal some places is that it's used in making methamphetamines. I used to work at a liquor store in TX and we had a limit of one bottle per person per day, per state law. People used to walk in, pick it up, and then run straight out of the store without paying. We ended up having to keep it behind the counter.

For the person who asked about using white rum, rum is usually 80 proof and so is regular, cheap vodka...which I use for painting and it works fine. Rum has a flavor and vodka doesn't but I doubt it would leave much flavor behind.

sweetheart6710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetheart6710 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 2:56am
post #21 of 24

I'm not a drinker, (some cake days I wish I was) but you say it doesn't have a flavor... but after it has evaporated, does it smell like alcohol? I usually use vanilla since I don't have vodka sitting around the house, and my cakes always smell so yummy because of the vanilla (or lemon). Would the vodka or everclear leave a alcohol smell?

Loucinda Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:05am
post #22 of 24

No, it doesn't leave a smell or taste, it evaporates. I have used the 80 proof stuff, and the everclear works a lot better for me. I am used to how it works/reacts.

criplee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
criplee Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 6:11am
post #23 of 24

You should use vodka because it keeps it dry ..You can use grey goose vodka..It is good in taste and will give good flavor.

Stephr29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephr29 Posted 24 Jan 2014 , 3:00am
post #24 of 24

AI've read in quite a few posts that Vodka and gel colors work well to paint on fondant. I'm making an acoustic guitar cake and want to give it the yellow wood streaked look. I've played around with it and it stays sticky. I've tried more Vodka and less but it doesn't really dry. Any advice?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%