Mmf-Am I Doing This Right??

Baking By MicheleH Updated 25 Aug 2010 , 5:26pm by bellaloco

MicheleH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicheleH Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 10

I am attempting to make my own MMF for 2 wedding cakes I have for the weekend. So far I have made 2 batches. I have followed the recipe exactly and it seems a little sticky.
Question #1-Should I let the MMF rest overnight to see if it just needs to rest up? I am afraid to add more powd sugar now because I don't want to make it too dry.
Question #2-How many batches do I need to make to cover these 4 inch high wedding cakes? 8, 10, 12, & 14 squares and 8, 10, & 12 rounds?
I would rather make my own fondant because of taste/cost, but I don't want to get in over my head! icon_redface.gif
Have tried to search topic and I must be doing something wrong!! icon_cry.gif

9 replies
luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 10

7.5 lbs (approx) of fondant will cover the 8,10,12 rounds so I'm guessing you'd need at least 10 lbs of fondant for the bigger project. Wilton fondant actually tastes way better now and if you mix half of your homemade mmf and half Wilton - it makes a really nice fondant that is easy to work with and looks great (has the stretchiness of mmf and the nice smooth look of Wilton) You should definitely let the mmf rest and if it's still sticky tomorrow for sure - don't be afraid to add a little icing sugar. Good luckicon_smile.gif

Brookbourque Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookbourque Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 8:07pm
post #3 of 10

I'm looking for a recipe for MMF, theres so many, I'd love a suggestion on one.
Thanks!!

MicheleH Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 10

So...stupid question-how many pounds does one batch of fondant make?
And...mixing the 2 fondants together won't make it look like I mixed 2 kinds of fondant together? (For lack of a better way to explain icon_smile.gif )

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 8:26pm
post #5 of 10

The fondant does need to rest overnight in the fridge. If it's too sticky I smear a little crisco on my hands but if it's too soft then I add a little powdered sugar.
If you have made the fondant using 1 lb marshmallow bags then I would make at least 8-10 batches. I would always use the left over though so I like to over guess it.
Have you ever covered a cake in MMF?

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 8:28pm
post #6 of 10

You would be OK with mixing them together. Once they are completely incorporated you won't be able to tell.
And, I'm not sure what one batch of MMF makes in lbs. ?? Sorry.

MicheleH Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 8:42pm
post #7 of 10

I have made 4 batches so far using 16 oz marshmallows and 2 lbs powd sugar. It looks like a bunch, but I have enough supplies in the house to make 2 more batches.
I have only covered a cake with MMF one or two times. All the other times I have used Wilton brand fondant.
One of the weddings is a fake cake only-so I don't mind using Wilton for that, but the other wedding is entirely edible, so I want to use the best tasting fondant that I can!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 9:29pm
post #8 of 10

MMF should NOT be sticky - you need to add more p/s and knead it till it is smooth as silk.

You do NOT have to keep it in the refrigerator. After it is made, coat it with shortning, and wrap tightly with saran wrap x2. Set it on the counter over night.

You may need to microwave it for a few seconds before using it - to soften it.

I use MMF and make it all the time, it works like a charm for me. One recipe makes 3 lb. There is a chart on wilton.com that tells you how much you need to cover cakes, but IMO they are too generous, I always had leftovers when I went by their chart.

Good luck!

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 5:07pm
post #9 of 10

I agree about NOT putting it in the fridge, and letting it sit overnight.

Just something else to consider...if you are covering a dummy with Wilton and using MMF for the rest, there WILL be a color difference. I find Wilton to be whiter than my MMF, however maybe you could add white food coloring, just thinking out loud here... Good Luck icon_smile.gif

bellaloco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellaloco Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 5:26pm
post #10 of 10

I have noticed that it is a lot harder to get a good batch of MMF in the summertime (at least here in the Utah desert). Sometimes I add a little extra water to compensate for the extra powdered sugar I have to add in the summer.

This is the recipe I use all the time and have never had any problems:
http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/how-to-make-marshmallow-fondant

I love being able to color my fondand prior to adding the sugar, it makes it so much easier! It is cheaper and tastes better. Unless I am making a plain white white wedding cake, I try to always use MMF.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%