Guitar Cake Tutorial

Decorating By cut-n-up Updated 7 Jul 2013 , 7:57pm by bct806

cut-n-up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cut-n-up Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 2

A member has asked me to post a tutorial on my guitar cake. I am very flattered that you think it is good enough. I hope this will help anyone interested.
It is alot of work but I think it is worth it. The main thing I did is find a great picture of the guitar that you are doing and put it on a photoshop or printmaster banner program and print it out the size that you want your finished product to be. I made this one full size so it was 43". you can make yours any size you want. Print it out and tape all of the pieces together and cut it out. Everyone will probably think you are nuts but so what it was the best thing that I have ever done. And it made it so much easier.
Then I made all of the elements like that tortoise shell looking pick guard and the circle in the middle witch I made handpainted on icing paper so that it would look like the inside of a guitar instead of black fondant that is what most people use and I like as real as I can get. I made everything else out of gumpaste. But that template that you are going to have is awsome to get the shapes and sizes right.Using the template you can get the exact size of the neck. The black top was gumpaste with royal icing frets and painted accent dot decoration. The bottom of the neck I cut the shape out of styrofoam shshshsh dont tell covered it with fondant and airbrushed woodgrain. The styrofoam makes it strong but not heavy. I have seen just about every guitar done with wood but I did not want it that heavy and styro is cheeper. If you look at a guitar you can see the shape it needs to be. The head Is a piece of cardboard sandwiched between gumpaste. I connected the two with skewers. These parts are just to thin to use cake. gumpast screws and bolts. I put a small piece of white gumpaste between the two to cover the gap. On a real guitar there is a white piece there anyway so it looks right. I airbrushed the woodgrain. I made all of this and the pick guard and little black piece ahead. The circle is handpainted on icing paper. I cut a piece of wood using the template as the baseboard. I don't bake any of my cakes more than 3 days ahead. This one was two but all I had left to do was fill ice and cover with fondant. I airbrushed the woodgrain put all of the pieces together prayed and used skewers to attach the neck. If you make the neck shape right the angle is automatically going to be right. It was a chocolate cake with chocolate mousse filling. I used a 16" square and had to add just a little more because it was not quite big enough. It turned out great. Oh yeah the strings were spaghetti noodles that i painted with food color. You have to be patient with this part because you have to get them lined up. My royal was not quite dry when someone bumped it and messed the strings up a little but no one was mad. The customer was estatic. She has thanked me so so so many times and I have gotten many order from it. I hope this helps.

1 reply
bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 2

Thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%