Creating Your Portfolio

Business By BethLS Updated 24 Aug 2010 , 5:25am by leily

BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 11:06pm
post #1 of 2

Hey guys!

Ive been offered the chance at making and selling cakes at our local small-town (1000 people) grocery store. I am very excited and optimistic in this endevor, and think I have a real shot at doing this on a more professional level. And, who knows what it could potentially lead to?

It will take some time to get everything all set and done and legal, but thats okay icon_biggrin.gif

I have an album full of photos of cakes I've done. My question is, is that I need to make a real porfolio for the grocery store.

How do I go about this, and what ALL should it include? Prices, cake flavors, fillings, frostings? I just dont know! When is it too much to include and where do you draw that line from paper on the counter to an order?

1 reply
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 5:25am
post #2 of 2

A portfolio is an example of your work. So i would do 5x7 or 8x10's (depending on how much room you'll have their) of your cakes. I don't put sizes and that for each tier because a cake muggle won't really "get" what it's there for. The only other thing i MIGHT put on there is how many each cake served. So as a customer is looking through the portfolio they can get an idea on whether or not they'll be looking at a 2 tier cake or a 5 tier cake for the servings they need (not to say this can't be adjusted though)

The pricing/flavors/fillings should be on a seperate "informational" sheet that can either be given to the customer or the store will have on hand for reference.

Will you actually be working there and have all the contact with the customers? or is the portfolio to leave at the store and someone else at the store may deal with the customer?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%