Adding M&ms To The Side Possible?

Decorating By MommaGray Updated 24 Aug 2010 , 5:19am by shanney54

MommaGray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaGray Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 4

I'd like to add a ring of mini M&Ms to the bottom half of a BC frosted cake. Think they will stay? Should I use sprinkles instead?

Also, the cake will be in the frig and then taken out to the party (outside) an hour before its eaten. Think taking it outside would pose a problem with their um, stickage (yes I just made up that word icon_smile.gif?

3 replies
cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 4

That shouldn't be a problem. Here's a search of Google Images for M&M decorated cakes: http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=m%26m%20decorated%20cake&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1680&bih=933

I don't think the cake going outside will make them fall off if they are stuck in enough buttercream - though, depending on how hot it is where you are and what buttercream recipe you use, you may have a melting issue with your buttercream.

Also, I'm thinking the M&M's coloring may bleed onto your buttercream as they warm up due to condensation. It may be better to leave it at room temp before going outside to avoid condensation issues.

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 12:59am
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_confections

I'm thinking the M&M's coloring may bleed onto your buttercream as they warm up due to condensation. It may be better to leave it at room temp before going outside to avoid condensation issues.

Yes, this will be a problem. When my kids were little they loved M&M's on their cakes and cupcakes. Refrigerating the cake would cause the M&M's to bleed like crazy, even if we didn't take the cake outside.

shanney54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanney54 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 5:19am
post #4 of 4

I used M&M's on a cake that I did a few months ago and they worked fine. I didn't put my fridge in the fridge though, so I didn't have to worry about the condensation. The only time that they started to fall was where I had added more icing to cover up a mistake. Here's a link to the pic of my cake if you'd like to see, they're the red and white "fans"

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1684802

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%