Home Bakery

Business By madgab Updated 15 Sep 2010 , 3:47pm by madgab

madgab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgab Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 2:06pm
post #1 of 5

Does anyone in Tennessee have a home based bakery? Can you give me some guidelines? Thank you!! icon_lol.gif

4 replies
JustGettinStarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustGettinStarted Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 5

I too live in Tennessee and would love to know the answer to this question or any suggestions. I'd like to sell a few cakes on the side, just occasionally, but don't know the legalities of it.

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 5

Contact the University of Tennessee dept of Agriculture. I think the person you want to talk to is Nancy Austin. I think they call it a Certified Domestic Kitchen. And you take a day long class on food safety and they give you the regulations you will need to bring your kitchen into compliance. Things like, covered light bulbs (or there are special bulbs you can get if you have to keep them exposed), a near by third sink, counter tops that are non absorbent, a separate fridge, and the ingredients have to be kept on their own shelves with nothing above them, etc.

I have started the process, but have not gotten dh to get rid of the fish tank yet and so we have hit a snag. Absolutely no animals under the same roof as the kitchen, and fish count.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 5

Here is a link to the section of TN state law that applies to domestic kitchen facilities:

http://tennessee.gov/sos/rules/0080/0080-04/0080-04-11.pdf

madgab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgab Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%