Modeling Chocolate

Baking By ShanonM Updated 23 Aug 2010 , 8:50pm by cakegroove

ShanonM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShanonM Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 8

I am trying hard to learn how to make modeling chocolate. Some one please help. After over 5 tries I still not getting it right. I is rock hard and grainy. When I try and knead it (after softening it in microwave) it crumbles and looks aweful. What am I doing wrong ?? icon_cry.gif

7 replies
anxietyattack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anxietyattack Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 12:02am
post #2 of 8

Is the chocolate grainy before you add the corn syrup? You have to be very careful when heating the chocolate because any of the tiniest amount of water could "sieze" your chocolate. I'm just a beginner though. I hope some more experienced bakers can give you some sound advice!

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 1:10am
post #3 of 8

I have the same problem. I use Merkins disks if that makes a difference. Anyone with some suggestions?

ShanonM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShanonM Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 2:09am
post #4 of 8

The Chocolate seems real creamy before the warm corn syrup. This is frustrating me thanks for all who give me advice icon_wink.gif

Cake_Bliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Bliss Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 2:57am
post #5 of 8

I use this recipe and I haven't had a problem:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1985/candy-clay-for-modeling-3d-figures

I melt my chocolte on defrost for 1 minute and then stir and then in 30 second increments on defrost until it is smooth. After that I add room temp corn syrup, stir and spread it on either aluminum foil or parchment and let it set up. When I knead it I split it in half and knead half the recipe and then other half (just easier for meicon_smile.gif. it is sometimes crumbly but I just keep kneading or sometimes may add shortening on my hand and it helps. This has worked for me. I really hope you are able to figure out what the problem is because it is so nice to work with on cakesicon_smile.gif

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 2:28pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanonM

I am trying hard to learn how to make modeling chocolate. Some one please help. After over 5 tries I still not getting it right. I is rock hard and grainy. When I try and knead it (after softening it in microwave) it crumbles and looks aweful. What am I doing wrong ?? icon_cry.gif

I don't know about warming it it the microwave but when I first start working with it it's crumbly and looks like it's not going to work, but after warming it in my hands and working it it'll come together. Also, I just use whatever almond bark I get at Walmart in both white and chocolate and use 1/3 cup corn syrup per pound of bark and let it rest overnight on wax paper. I love working with it and the last roses I made (in my pics decorating my Mom's Chocoflan) I marbelized chocolate and white clay together and it looked soo fancy!

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 5:14pm
post #7 of 8

I've been making a lot of modeling chocolate lately. Tried some fairly expensive chocolate...and the cheap stuff from the candy molding aisle. Guess what? The cheap stuff worked best! By far. Tried three different brands of candy molding chocolate, and there wasn't much difference in the way they behaved. Now, it's not always pretty at first...but kneading always brings it around. I have been happiest with 1/4 cup corn syrup per one pound of chocolate disks. I melt over hot water. I'm just too heavy-handed with the microwave, it seems.

cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 8:50pm
post #8 of 8

I have never had a problem with making modeling chocolate. I use Merckens candy melts, melt them over a double boiler on my stove top and then add the corn syrup. Mix until incorporated, dump out onto a plastic wrap lined cookie sheet. Put in fridge for 1 hour. When it comes out it is play dough consistency and a better medium to work with than RKT (in my opinion). I love modeling chocolate!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%