Toddler Sleep Issues...

Lounge By Rachie204 Updated 16 Jun 2017 , 2:01pm by Levana91

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 9

So my daughter is almost 20 months old and we have had her on a lovely sleep schedueal for a long time now. About a month ago she started getting hurt trying to climb out of her crib so we turned it into the toddler bed. Since the change she has done well at bed time while usually getting up and playing during nap time. Now that school has started she is all messed up she is having to wake up 2 hours earlier in the mornings. The main thing I am concerned about is that after I leave her room she moves her pillow and blanket to she floor and sleeps there! Random I know. To make it worse we have hardwood floors. There is a rug in her room but she doesnt always end up on it. I usually just move her, but there has to be a reason she is laying there. Do you think it could somehow be more comfortable?....Her daddy loves sleeping on the floor....?

8 replies
TheDomesticDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDomesticDiva Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 9

My son did the same thing when he was that age!! He'd move right to the floor with his pillow and blanket!!! I eventually stopped fighting with him. I mean, it can't hurt anything. icon_smile.gif What I did was take a fluffy comforter, and started making him a comfy pallet on the floor by his bed every night, and I'd let him choose where he wanted to sleep. He did that for about a year LOL!!! I just figured it was one of those "pick your battles" things. icon_biggrin.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 9

I'm not quite sure why she must wake up for school... Do older kids wake her up, or is she in daycare?

In any case, several of the kids preferred the floor so we made them 'dog beds', 'birdie nests' and in one case a 'soldier tent'.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 1:34am
post #4 of 9

I say as long as she is staying in her room then don't worry about it. If you are worried about her sleeping on the hard floor, you could get an air mattress. They make a really cute Dora one that doubles as a sleeping bag.

FullMoonRanch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullMoonRanch Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 2:04am
post #5 of 9

One of my daughters also slept on the floor at that age. She wouldn't sleep in the toddler bed. I don't know why. When she got a big bed she started to sleep in it. Now she is the one that goes to sleep the best and my 2 1/2 yr old is giving me trouble! This too shall pass.

7yyrt - At the moment I have to drive my older girls to school. I have to wake and take my little one because Dad has to leave for work before I get back home. Maybe she is in a similar situation.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 2:20am
post #6 of 9

As long as she's sleeping through the night don't worry about it! My daughter and her friends sleep on the floor without pillows or anything when they have sleepovers. (They did it last night, I asked them if they needed pillows .."no, we're fine" icon_confused.gif ) I don't get it, but kids seem to have a higher tolerance for what they think is uncomfortable than adults do.

anxietyattack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anxietyattack Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:34pm
post #7 of 9

When my daughter was that age she would lay on the floor trying to see what we were doing in the living room from her room and she'd end up falling asleep there! The Diva is right. It's a pick your battle thing. She's in a safe place and she'll get back on a schedule soon enough. If you have a pack and play you could always take the mat out of that and lay it where you normally find her asleep. I feel like it's something she'll grow out of.

Good luck!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 4:06pm
post #8 of 9

I had a sibling who did that - when asked why years later she replied...
Sometimes i used to get too hot in bed - and its always cooler on the floor - plus there was more room - icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Sometimes parents just don't pick up on the obvious - like little ones do. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
If she is safe - don't worry yourself - she knows where she is comfy.

Bluehue.

Levana91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Levana91 Posted 16 Jun 2017 , 2:01pm
post #9 of 9

Well, all you need is to pick the right toddler bed, and that's it. 

We bought a "Disney Frozen" bed for our youngest daughter to move into since she convertible crib was recalled for safety reasons. We were looking for something that would be easy to assemble but sturdy enough to hold up to a busy 3-year-old.

Besides, the bed will be easy to pass on to a younger sibling later ;)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%