I Made A Comment On Another Post, And I Want To Apoligize.

Decorating By thatslifeca Updated 31 Aug 2010 , 5:05pm by DSmo

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 10:06pm
post #1 of 34

I recently read a post in which there was a discussion about making a wedding cake in less then 24hrs. I had stated that "no it can't be done, especially if she only had 4mnth exprience" Well I'm sorry folks, I was wrong it can be done and watched someone today that was getting prepared to do just that. I went to McCalls (cake warehouse supplier) to pick up some supplies. While standing at the check out, I was shocked to see what the customer in front of me was purchasing and my comment came screaming into my head.
Her purchases were as follow:
1. frozen cakes round in various sizes (chocolate & vanilla)
2. 3 sleeves of white bavarian cream
3. 5 kg pail of buttercream (vanilla flavor)
4. 2 10kg pails of fondant (chocolate & wedding white)
5. Cake drum, cake boards & supports
6. 1 extra large cake box
Her total plus our Canadian taxes $149.08

I smiled at her and asked "wedding cake coming?" She replied " yes, it's so easy nowadays anybody can do it." Is it going to be top quality? No, probably not. Is she going to do it in less then 24hrs? Yes she is.
My only question that went unanswered, " what is er expertise level?"

33 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 10:31pm
post #2 of 34

Maybe you just need to re-phrase your post and say that it "shouldn't be done"???

I doubt that very many people here on CC would even CONSIDER buying frozen commercial cakes and bucket icing to make a wedding cake--unless WalMart or SamsClub is their middle name...................

I'm guessing that the post you responded to was talking about actually baking a cake, making icing and filling, and decorating in 24hrs., not assembling a the equivalent of a grocery store cake----------heck, grocery store decorators can do that in their sleep and in 20 minutes, no less--they have to, or they lose their jobs!

No one who acutally bakes and decorates should be encouraged to do this!

Rae

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 34

I truly wish her luck!!! Maybe she can do it, but I didn't see anything for stacking in her supplies.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

I didn't see anything for stacking in her supplies.

True, but no bags, tips, spatulas, etc either--it's probably not her first time.

thatslifeca Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 11:18pm
post #5 of 34

BlakesCakes I was not encouraging anybody to do it. I don't think it's what we are all out here for. I was shocked I guess. I'm from the old school and I guess I just never thought or wanted to think that there are people out there doing this type of work. Or let me correct that, saying that it's quality work. I understand that grocery store bakers can do it, but holly wow I was suprised.

kansaslaura I don't think this was her frist time either. I got the impression form the check out lady that this is something she does a lot.
The check out lady smiles and says " ohhh yes she has big orders every weekend" icon_eek.gif

thatslifeca Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 34

Maybe I should clarify......the post that I had reponded to was one were someone was selling "wedding cakes....funeral cakes......b-day cakes".....all apperantly done in 24hrs notice...oh yes and that she only had 4mths exprience and thats why her cakes were so cheap...I believe it said 250 bucks.

BlakesCakes Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 11:30pm
post #7 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatslifeca

BlakesCakes I was not encouraging anybody to do it. icon_eek.gif

I never said, thought, or implied that you did/were.

I think it's horribly sad that anyone would pass themselves off as a baker/decorator and stoop to such a lazy way of producing something as important as someone's wedding cake.

It's people like this that give the rest of us who work hard for our productions a bad name.

She CAN produce a "wedding cake" in a matter of hours and charge very little because she has no labor costs invested in the final product. People will compare her prices to a REAL baker and the one actually working for their money will lose out on a sale to an inferior product, but since she'd never admit her shortcuts, it will always seem like the real baker is also a price gouger.........sad, just plain sad.

Rae

thatslifeca Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 11:39pm
post #8 of 34

Sorry BlakesCakes I must of misunderstood. My apologizes. I know where your coming from thu. I'm not a young chick anymore, I know this stuff is out there, but I think it shocked me really. I have been in this business for 20yrs, more if I count schooling, so I guess it just got me angry to actually see it. The comment she made " it's so easy nowadays, anybody could do it" icon_surprised.gif pissed me off. I think if I was younger I would have smacked her a good one icon_eek.gif , and I'm not a voilent person.....really I'm not icon_redface.gif I'm just tired of hear that.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 11:47pm
post #9 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Quote:

BlakesCakes I was not encouraging anybody to do it. icon_eek.gif

I think it's horribly sad that anyone would pass themselves off as a baker/decorator and stoop to such a lazy way of producing something as important as someone's wedding cake.

It's people like this that give the rest of us who work hard for our productions a bad name.

Yep, this is exatly where the nasty wedding cake sterotype comes from. I've actually had someone ask me if I could make something besides that "dry white cake" or does all wedding cake have to be that way?? ARG!

Karen421 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 12:15am
post #10 of 34

Ok - I know the post and the subject of being legal came up. So - If she were to do something like this, where she wasn't baking at all, just filling, and decorating, where does that fall? She not a "home baker" she is technically just decorating, and how can the others in her area compete with that? Although, I can't even image what they must taste like.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 12:18am
post #11 of 34
Quote:

I think it's horribly sad that anyone would pass themselves off as a baker/decorator and stoop to such a lazy way of producing something as important as someone's wedding cake...
...She CAN produce a "wedding cake" in a matter of hours and charge very little because she has no labor costs invested in the final product.

I think it's horribly sad that anyone would judge a total stranger without knowing exactly what she's trying to pass herself off as. Perhaps she doesn't claim to be a baker - just a decorator. Lazy, or productive? I'm sure they sell a lot of cake to many other people than just her. Just because she doesn't do it "your" way or another baker's way, doesn't mean she's less of a person than any one of us who might be thinking that we're so much better... over cake!

Okay, so she's slapping product A together with product B. She still has labor costs invested in the final product for the time (however little) that she spent slapping it all together and delivering it. We're all God's children, so why does it bother anyone if she's not directly hurting anyone?

CWR41 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 12:23am
post #12 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

She not a "home baker" she is technically just decorating...

She is still handling food and needs to be responsible for what she produces whether it's in a licensed home kitchen or storefront based on what the requirements are for Canada.

BlakesCakes Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 12:44am
post #13 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

...... so why does it bother anyone if she's not directly hurting anyone?

icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif

Did I unknowingly hit a nerve???????????? Sheesh!

I actually DO feel that she's hurting ALL of us who are hard working, proud bakers and decorators who invest $$ and many hours attempting to produce quality product.

Her masquerade gives "muggles" the wrong impression about prices, time investment, quality, etc. and it makes it harder for REAL decorators to combat something like this when someone comes in and says, "I had a cake from X and it was only $250. How can YOU justify charging me $500??" The REAL baker gets put on the defensive, but can never climb out of the "too expensive" hole. She can only tell the person to return to X and allow the charade to continue.

I stand by my assessment and my judgement.
Rae

Aurora_333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aurora_333 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 1:06am
post #14 of 34

Actually, she was charging $150. I couldn't believe it.

BlakesCakes Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 1:12am
post #15 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora_333

Actually, she was charging $150. I couldn't believe it.

As I read it, she paid $150 for the supplies..........no word on what she was charging.

Rae

thatslifeca Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 1:27am
post #16 of 34

Well I'll tell you, in Canada you can slap it together and say I didn't bake anything and it's still against the law. Not allowed to do in Ontario Canada, regardless. Is there ways around it, of course there is. There is a way around everything.

I'm with BlakesCakes on this one, I didn't spend years getting everything I know down to an art, and I truely believe this is an art, and still attentend classes that I feel will help me, to be told buy some one "how hard can it be?" "anybody can do it" "it's not complicated" "it's not brain surgery" "oh come on, it doesn't cost that much"......shall I continue?

I understand if you want to buy pre made items, we all use them. I for example can't make fondant to save my life, I buy it. I just find it insulting that there are people out there who claim "they can do it in less then 24hrs and produce quailty product." when everything is pre made, right down to the decorations.
[/b]

CWR41 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 1:43am
post #17 of 34
Quote:

Of course you did, and I'd stand up for a total stranger again because it's the right thing to do.

Quote:

I actually DO feel that she's hurting ALL of us who are hard working, proud bakers and decorators who invest $$ and many hours attempting to produce quality product.

You're implying that she isn't hard working or proud, and I don't see that she's claiming to be a baker anywhere. If she isn't claiming that, she isn't lying, cheating, or misleading anyone. She's invested money and hours just like anyone else. Perhaps she's invested more (than you turning on your oven) to buy her pre-baked cakes because she knows she's buying a whole cake instead of getting two broken halves if she attempts it on her own. Perhaps her cake is quality-baked by a professional and better than yours--you don't know. So what if it's frozen--many of y'all admit to freezing your baked layers.

Quote:

Her masquerade gives "muggles" the wrong impression about prices, time investment, quality, etc. and it makes it harder for REAL decorators to combat something like this...

You're generalizing again... perhaps she charges more than you, and now she's not a REAL decorator! Geez!

Quote:

...when someone comes in and says, "I had a cake from X and it was only $250. How can YOU justify charging me $500??"

It happens, but it doesn't mean it's her fault... she's not Wal-Mart!

Quote:

Rae

Thanks for your assessment, but it isn't your place for us to judge one another. Give the poor lady a break. I don't see the purpose in bad-mouthing her.

BlakesCakes Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 2:01am
post #18 of 34
Quote:

Quote:

Of course you did, and I'd stand up for a total stranger again because it's the right thing to do.

Quote:

You're implying that she isn't hard working or proud, and I don't see that she's claiming to be a baker anywhere. If she isn't claiming that, she isn't lying, cheating, or misleading anyone. She's invested money and hours just like anyone else. Perhaps she's invested more (than you turning on your oven) to buy her pre-baked cakes because she knows she's buying a whole cake instead of getting two broken halves if she attempts it on her own. Perhaps her cake is quality-baked by a professional and better than yours--you don't know. So what if it's frozen--many of y'all admit to freezing your baked layers.

Quote:

Her masquerade gives "muggles" the wrong impression about prices, time investment, quality, etc. and it makes it harder for REAL decorators to combat something like this...

You're generalizing again... perhaps she charges more than you, and now she's not a REAL decorator! Geez!

Quote:

...when someone comes in and says, "I had a cake from X and it was only $250. How can YOU justify charging me $500??"

It happens, but it doesn't mean it's her fault... she's not Wal-Mart!

Quote:

Rae

Thanks for your assessment, but it isn't your place for us to judge one another. Give the poor lady a break. I don't see the purpose in bad-mouthing her.

You are absolutely, freakin' HYSTERICAL!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't say what I think without you telling me that I'm an awful person and downright wrong, but YOU can do exactly the same to me and I'm supposed to sit back and be what, apologetic? humbled? chastized? to the point where I won't express my opinion any more?

If you believe what you say, then stop judging ME! Your immediate response to this thread was to tell ME that I'm wrong and that my OPINION doesn't matter!

No problem disagreeing with me, but it can easily be said without trying to step on MY head.

I've said what I have because I personally don't want ANYONE to produce or receive this type of cake, or to think that this is an acceptable process. Too many of us work too hard to STOP being compared to WalMart icon_mad.gif

I'd think that we would want to prevent members from adopting poor practices, but .......maybe NOT.................

Rae

thatslifeca Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 2:07am
post #19 of 34

Ok folks lets just stop right here. I didn't post this so that it will become an all out war. I saw a post in which I stated that a wedding cake can't be done in 24hrs by someone with 4mnth experience and that I was wrong

Does it upset me that there are people out there doing this, YES it does.
Do I think that it's wrong, YES I DO.

But please don't argue. Have difference, but don't argue.

CWR41 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 2:27am
post #20 of 34
Quote:

I can't say what I think without you telling me that I'm an awful person...

Never called you a name... you're over-reacting. Hate me if you want, it's my nature to defend the ones who cannot.

Quote:

my OPINION doesn't matter!

Never said it.

Quote:

step on MY head.

Didn't. (still no name calling from me.)

Quote:

I've said what I have because I personally don't want ANYONE to produce or receive this type of cake, or to think that this is an acceptable process.

You can't stop it or control it... might as well get used to it. I'd eat it. As a matter of fact, I used to work in a factory that produced cakes and employeed several thousand employees... good luck telling them their process isn't acceptable.

Quote:

Too many of us work too hard to STOP being compared to WalMart

No one has in this thread. I compared her to Wal-Mart IF she has Wal-Mart pricing, but that's information that I don't have.

BlakesCakes Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 2:40am
post #21 of 34
Quote:

I'd eat it. As a matter of fact, I used to work in a factory that produced cakes and employeed several thousand employees... good luck telling them their process isn't acceptable.

I compared her to Wal-Mart IF she has Wal-Mart pricing, but that's information that I don't have.

Can't thank you enough for FINALLY explaining your position! I was assuming something similar, but it's good to have affirmation. icon_lol.gif

The phrase, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks." kept running through my head..............

Pricing doesn't make a WalMart cake--but what's inside DOES!

Sorry the thread hit soooooo close to home.
Rae

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 3:22am
post #22 of 34
Quote:

and still attentend classes that I feel will help me, to be told buy some one "how hard can it be?" "anybody can do it" "it's not complicated" "it's not brain surgery" "oh come on, it doesn't cost that much"......shall I continue?

I just find it insulting that there are people out there who claim "they can do it in less then 24hrs and produce quailty product." when everything is pre made, right down to the decorations.

Sorry you feel this way. I don't understand why it would upset you and that you think it's wrong. Why can't you be happy for people who are able to do it? Some people have a natural talent, don't need classes, it comes easy for them and isn't complicated. (you're right, not everybody can do it!) Why are you insulted that there are people out there who can?

As IndyDebi has often quoted Ralph Waldo Emerson "Those who say it can't be done, should stop interrupting those of us who are doing it."

I'm with CWR41 on this one, no jealousy towards what anyone else is or isn't doing. CRW, I don't regret defending a friend of my mom's (whom I've never met) when she was being slammed by my mother. Mom couldn't get over it and broke all communication with me over a year ago, but I'd do it all over again because it's the right thing.

CWR41 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 3:23am
post #23 of 34
Quote:

Sorry the thread hit soooooo close to home.
Rae

No biggie, it doesn't bother me a bit... that was many years ago!

Karen421 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 3:36am
post #24 of 34
Quote:

Ok folks lets just stop right here. I didn't post this so that it will become an all out war. I saw a post in which I stated that a wedding cake can't be done in 24hrs by someone with 4mnth experience and that I was wrong

But please don't argue. Have difference, but don't argue.

thumbs_up.gif I totally understand what you are saying, but maybe this will help the others:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=692685&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 3:38am
post #25 of 34

While I agree that a custom-made, custom-baked cake will most likely taste better than a mass-market commercially produced one, isn't there really a place for both? Not everyone can afford custom prices, so should they just forgo having cake (unless they have time, resources, and skill to bake and decorate their own)? Perhaps the woman who buys all of the premade stuff is filling a niche between that of the WalMart cakes and the $5 a slice (or more, or much, much more) cakes.

The way I see it, you have a certain amount you can budget toward the cake. If you have a fairly limited budget, you have a couple of options. First, you can pare down the guest list. Second, you can make do with a box-store cake. Finally, you can find someone within your budget. That may be using a baker who charges way less than the typical rate (with the associated risks), or it might be contracting with someone who uses premade cakes, icing, and fondant, but makes a gorgeous cake. The wedding pictures will document how gorgeous the cake was. If the taste was acceptable, albeit not wonderful, that may be prefectly fine with the bride and groom. REMINDER: We do not know what skill level of the person at the cake supply store mentioned in the OP of this thread. Maybe she is highly skilled but is not in a position at this time to be able to bake, just to decorate.

I am not a professional, so maybe I don't have a right to comment, but it seems like brides who want an amazing cake for a ridiculously small amount of money incur scorn, but the same scorn is also applied to brides who try to find options within their budget, such as having a commercially baked cake custom decorated. What is a poor bride to do?

As long as the person selling the cake is honest about what they are doing, and not portraying their product as something it isn't, who is hurt?

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 5:18am
post #26 of 34

The original woman didn't say she was selling the wedding cake, perhaps it's for her own wedding. Getting married in a way the bride and groom can afford is something I respect.
Some people just want a cake because it's a traditional symbol and don't want to horrify the older folks by not having one to have that cake-cutting picture taken.
In that case, I don't see frozen cake and something like Bettercreme to be a problem.

CWR41 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 2:40pm
post #27 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited

As IndyDebi has often quoted Ralph Waldo Emerson "Those who say it can't be done, should stop interrupting those of us who are doing it."

thumbs_up.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited

Mom couldn't get over it and broke all communication with me over a year ago, but I'd do it all over again because it's the right thing.

icon_eek.gif Wow! Don't know what kind of parent would do that, but good for you for standing up... at least you have a kind & compassionate conscience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda

isn't there really a place for both?

I think so! thumbs_up.gif (It's great that we live in a world with choices and opportunities to do things in different ways, and that options are available to consumers because someone out there is willing to fulfill a need.)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 3:25pm
post #28 of 34

calm down, folks.

Tell me what's different:

Many of us here on CC freely admit to baking ahead of time and freezing our cakes. We bake on MOnday and pull them out of the freezer on Thursday.

Many of us make our icing ahead of time so we can assembly line our cake orders for the weekend. We make our decorations ahead of time (like my BC roses so they can air dry).

So to anyone standing "in line" in the front of my shop, observing me pulling cakes out of the freezer, watching me scoop icing out of a tub of "premade" icing, and grabbing "premade" decorations off of my shelf .... they could make the same assumption and comments about me, or anyone else who works this way.

I watched Master Chef (Gordon Ramsey) the other day where the contestants had to guess ingredients in a pot of chili. Many guessed chili powder which was wrong. So I guess the "true" chefs out there find it demaning to put chili POWDER in a pot of chili ..... but around here, that's how we make it. And evidently, that's how the contestants make it, too.

And yes, I can bake and decorate a wedding cake within 24 hours if I have to. There's nothing hard about baking a cake,, icing it and slapping a ribbon and some scrolls on it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 3:40pm
post #29 of 34

P.S. As to the comments about her not being a "real" decorator .....

Frozen cakes or dummy cakes .... what's the difference? The argument is made on here frequently that we should charge the same to decorate a dummy cake THAT WE DIDN'T BAKE because the work is the same. Why is it deemed that a person is not a "real" decorator if she decorates a frozen cake THAT SHE DIDN'T BAKE? Is the work and art of decorating any less on a frozen cake than it is on a dummy cake?

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 3:51pm
post #30 of 34

I won't pretend I care one way or the other about how some stranger prepares her cakes, but Rae really didn't deserve to be shamed for giving an opinion. But that's just me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%