Marshmallows For Fondant

Decorating By siddi Updated 19 Aug 2010 , 4:14pm by siddi

siddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
siddi Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 8

hello cake central peepz!!!
im a newbie and yes i got struck with the cupcake craze!! but now i wana try out making a cake. ive been lookin through youtube videos on how to make fondant. and i was wondering if you can use any kind of marshmallows or does it have to be a particular brand??? n can i use coloured marshmallows?
thankyou icon_smile.gif

7 replies
AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 8

I prefer to use any generic brand of mini marshmallows over Jet Puffed. Yes, you can use colored marshmallows to start as a base to the color you want to make. If you need it darker, just add more coloring in at the melted stage of the marshmallows or while you are kneading in the powdered sugar (it is easier to add the color in at the melted stage though).

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 8

Any brand works. I buy what is on sale.

kelsiedelizzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelsiedelizzle Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 12:23am
post #4 of 8

I've used the generic brand and then I've used the name brand (I can't remember what name brand is was, or if there's more than one, isn't that horrible?!) but I have to say that the more "expensive" marshmallows (because mm are pretty cheap) melted better and had a different texture. So my experience has shown me to just spend the extra few cents.

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 1:24am
post #5 of 8

I use whatever brand of mini marshmallows that I happen to grab - the key for me is to make sure the marshmallows are FRESH! Trust me, if you grab a bag and they aren't nice and squishy, don't use it.

I have a bag of French Vanilla marshmallows I've been meaning to try making fondant out of. Has anyone given that a try yet?

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 5:12am
post #6 of 8

While we're on the subject of MMF... what recipe do you guys use? I used 2 bags of marshmellows and 2 lbs of sugar... didn't seem quite right to me.

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 12:48pm
post #7 of 8

I use:

1 16 oz. package mini marshmallows
2 tablespoons water
2 pounds powder sugar

siddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
siddi Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 4:14pm
post #8 of 8

thanku everyone for ur replies..much love <3

Quote by @%username% on %date%