A Dry Cake. Help!

Baking By 4realLaLa Updated 18 Aug 2010 , 6:01am by matthewkyrankelly

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 12:25am
post #1 of 5

I recently made a Spiderman cake for my friend's son. I really put my all into it (as I do all my cakes). The cake was moist and delicious (I tasted the cake tops). Well, to the point... I just spoke with her she said no one ate the cake because it was dry. She said she put in the fridge the night before she served it. I feel so bad!!!!!!! Everybody says my cakes are moist. I am wondering what could have happened.

Does anyone have any ideas? I am so sick about it because her poor little son didn't get cake on his birthday. icon_cry.gif

4 replies
GGx1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GGx1 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 12:50am
post #2 of 5

Every one tells me my cakes are so moist, and the scraps are, and the ones I have been @ the party for were also moist. I think putting them in the fridge can make them seem a bit dry, unless you let it sit out for a while. Did it need to go in the fridge? Did you use a box mis, if so was it the same brand you always use? I usually use DH but this past week I ussed BC. Did not seem as moist to me. I also us a cup of mayo and water instead of the oil it calls for.

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 12:56am
post #3 of 5

GGx1 thanks for the response. I only bake from scratch. She said she didn't know that the fondant would keep the cake fresh. I didn't think to tell her NOT to refrigerate the cake. I recently started to use fondant so I guess that's why I didn't think to tell her. I didn't ask her if she let it come back to room temp before serving. I'm going to ask her.

staciecakes_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staciecakes_ Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 5:48am
post #4 of 5

Refrigeration does dry out frosted cakes. However the fondant should seal in the moisture at least for that 24 hour period. She probably didn't set it out a few hours before serving. Therefore serving it chilled instead of at room temperature. It's probably best to tell all customers if they are going to refrigerate the cake to set it out at least two hours before serving.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 6:01am
post #5 of 5

I agree with the room temp idea. Refrigerators do have a tendency to dry things out. However, a cake is usually sealed in a protective layer of either frosting or fondant on them. No way for the fridge to dry out the interior of a cake.

You might want to try putting your own cake in the fridge to see if it seems dry.

Also, as an aside, I prefer box mixes because scratch always seems dry to me. I do know that many scratch bakers include a simple syrup in their repertoire to prevent the whole idea of dryness in their cakes. It also is an opportunity for adding a layer of flavor that you can't easily do with a box mix.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%