Help Wanted!!! Help With A Cake, That Is!

Decorating By jerseygirlNga Updated 19 Aug 2010 , 12:53am by jerseygirlNga

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 7:08pm
post #1 of 16

Last year, my son asked me to make him a groom's cake for his wedding which is coming up in October. I knew it would be football theme...so I thought how hard could a football field be with a team logo...maybe a mascot...a gumpaste team (wearing the numbers he & his best buddies wore in HS). Since the bride-to-be is of a "rival" team...I was going to throw in her team mascot, as well. We are talking TN vs GA, here.

For Xmas, he and my husband sent me to a class in late February, to learn how to work with fondant and gumpaste. And I have "played" since. Most of the cakes I've done are here.

So what do I need help with? He doesn't want the football field...he wants the dam stadium!!! Neyland Stadium to be exact. I know it was a stupid thing to do but I sent a letter up to the stadium authorities...the crew at Charm City...but I was running out of time. Today, I got their response and lets just say...There are no books that will help with this...I've tried unless someone can recommend one...I would be grateful.

Now, where do I start? Is there anyone out there that can help or willing to help guide me? I tried some local bakers to make this but I didn't like their work. Some, I know I can do better and besides...it was a promise I made.

I realize everyone is busy with their own lives...but I will take any suggestions you may have. Email, PM... I don't care...just know...I need help and if you have ideas, I'm open.

So far...all I can figure out is the field needs to be done with a 1/2 sheet (my oven wont hold bigger, unless I piece it together) That is scary for me...since I have a hard enough time rolling out fondant with carpal in both wrists. I don't know how to figure out the walls to make it proportionate to the field size and I don't know what portion should be cake. I thought, if I can get someone to help me "build" the walls...I can just do gumpaste and lower it over the cake.

15 replies
VNatividad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VNatividad Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 16

Hi...I feel for you and while I've never attempted anything like this I want to help in some way...even it's moral support. I found pictures of cakes from other websites that can help, maybe.

http://mysweetangelcakes.com/groomcakes.html

http://angeladkins.xanga.com/

I would think you'd need to cut out a template for the shape of the stadium and then carve. Stack a few layers of cake and carve down to make the field.

The two pictured look doable and the first picture looks like it was covered in buttercream. Good luck.

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 16

Another suggestion - use the multi-colored non-pareils for the people - I think CCC uses those now too when they make a stadium. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 11:01pm
post #4 of 16

well, I think that if you try this it would be a BIG challenge...you can't promise them anything.

After seeing those cakes that VNatividad posted and looking up the stadium....THAT IS EASY! icon_lol.gif I was going to try and attempt Lambeau Field in Green Bay for my father but opted out of it icon_razz.gif waaay too complicated for me.

So, depending on how many people you are making it for...you would make a couple cakes that you could stack on top of each other. Then make a template for the middle part and you are going to want to carve out your center. to a certain point...that is how you will get your center and for your people you can just use some round sprinkles. icon_wink.gif

you could probably cover the cake in bc...i would use the Crusting BC recipe on CC and then use the Viva Paper Towel method to get it really smooth.

Use your gumpaste ahead of time to make your "box seats" at the top of each side and any score board and lights you want to attach.

This is my advice...and good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 16

Wow, what a poser! VNatividad's links look like a good place to start, especially since they're of the very stadium your son wants. I've seen stadium cakes that use multi-colored non-pareils for the crowd. If you search for "Kakaroto" in the galleries here on CC, you'll find one like that. Wish I could be of more help. I'm more here for moral support, but I'm cheerin' for ya'!

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 11:10pm
post #6 of 16

I just did a Google Image Search on Football Stadium Cakes and there are a bunch of photos there that might help.

jerseygirlNga Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 3:03pm
post #7 of 16

I thank you for all your suggestions but the stadium cake that is linked is not what he is looking for. He wants the replica and this kid (now 32) hasn't asked me to do anything for him since he graduated college. I know what he wants and as far as the amount of servings...I don't know. Its about the cake and not the servings for this one. That is why I think I should just do the field as edible and build a wood frame/structure and cover with gumpaste. I know that is cheating, but I don't see any other way.

As far as the moral support...I will take you up on it. Today, I found "lights" to light the scoreboard so that part is done! And my husband is going to help me with the wiring so the field plays ROCKY TOP when wheeled out. Tomorrow I will start working on a model size with posterboard, I guess. I think at this point, I will only do the front and field in cake...the rest will by styrofoam, wood or ???. I'm no engineer but I have to figure this out. Maybe my greatest challenge next to giving birth to this boy at 8 lb 13.5 oz!

Again, thanks for your suggestions.

step0nmi Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 3:48pm
post #8 of 16

i'm totally confused now icon_confused.gif the links are not replicas? it sounds like you are putting waaaay too much emphasis on "replica". i don't get it

jerseygirlNga Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 6:30pm
post #9 of 16

Step...I understand the links provided are not replicas and that was my fault for not being clearer in the original post. If my son didn't pay for classes with Nick Lodge...then maybe he would have only expected a Wilton Cake Pan cake. That is not what he wants and I want to give him what he expects. I've contacted local bakers without luck so it is up to me AND whether its over my head or not...it is what I will create. Like the saying goes; where there is a will...

step0nmi Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 7:06pm
post #10 of 16

the thing is though that the stadium is very basic architecturally so those links provided were there to show you how to build up the cake. Yes, it may look like the Wilton Pan but I sculpt cakes and I know that this stadium in cake would be very easy to build up and carve out....AND THOSE WERE CARVED. that is all we were saying. we can only provide you with help and not "exact" replicas...and just because HE may be at a different skill level doesn't mean it he would expect the same from you.

but It's your choice i guess

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crabbabs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crabbabs Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 7:26pm
post #12 of 16

I think you should "cheat" in this instance and use non-edible materials in order to get a clean look.
I studied architecture and we had to make scale models a lot. I would use foamcore board and poster board to construct the outside of the stadium. Make sure you use a very sharp exacto knife. You can then cover the boards with a thin layer of fondant.

jerseygirlNga Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 9:26pm
post #13 of 16

Crabbabs... I had planned, all the long, to build the majority of the ouside structure from a non edible material and cover in gumpaste to resemble the stadium. What I didn't know is how much should be out of cake...initially I wanted to build a complete facade (interior/exterior) and just lower it over the "field" This is a small wedding, less than 120 ppl and we don't need the cake. This is done as a gift to my kid as an avid Vols fan for the last 18 years.

I met and priced with local bakers and very disappointed in what they are were showing for the price. That is what I meant as cheat. Every mother wants to give their kids what they want...just because he is a grown man, that doesn't change. From our conversations and talking with his friends...I know what he is expecting to see. If it kills me...and it may...he will have exactly what he wants.

If you are willing...since you have done models in the past...would you be willing just to guide me through the height dimension based on a base dimension. Once I have that...I will have something to work with. Since the cake is 12x19 for the field...I was planning on 2.5 inch high...I thought the facade height should be 26.25 is what I have started with. Can you just give me your opinion. Thanks.

KristyDi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyDi Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 9:54pm
post #14 of 16

Sounds like you have the beginning of a plan. The one thing I thought of was be sure you have a way to get to the cake part to serve easily.

Also, I may be speaking out of turn and you obviously know your relationship with your son best, but from an adult child's perspective. If I were asking something of my mom that was going to majorly stress her out and cause her not to enjoy the time before my wedding because she was worried about fulfilling my request, I'd much rather she said something like, "Honey, that may be a bit too far outside of my skill level. Maybe we can scale this down a bit." I'd rather my mom enjoy my wedding and have a slightly less awesome cake than have mom be a sleep deprived, stressed out wreck in order to give me a super awesome cake.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 12:37am
post #15 of 16

But is it really going to stress you out and spoil the wedding or is it something you'll enjoy doing both to please your son and as a challenge to your cake decorating abilities? I get the feeling you're looking forward to this, and if that's the case, like I said before, run with it!! Just be sure to send us some really good pictures.

jerseygirlNga Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 12:53am
post #16 of 16

Will it stress me out... Of course...but not making the cake or scaling back is not an option. I received a PM that suggested RKT...something I never even considered!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%