Why My Cake Is Dense And Heavy

Baking By wjntbc Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 3:04am by wjntbc

wjntbc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wjntbc Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:43pm
post #1 of 4

My cake turn out to be dense and heavy after putting it into the fridge for several hours and I don't know what is the reason?
I thought I have overmix it but I have checked through the tips posting in internet and I don't think I overmix my cake here. The only thing that I can suspect here may be my batter is too thin to bake in the size of pan that I used.
I have cut down the portion of regular cake size to half. Instead of 2 cups of flour I cut everything down by half in order to make a thin layer of cake that I can make a layer cake later. My pan size is 7" round pan with 2" height, however the batter which I prepared is only manage to fill 1/3 of the pan height. It ideally turn out the height that I required when cooked. I left it cool for few hours before frosting and immediately put into the fridge after frosting. So I have not tried the cake until I took it out from the fridge. It is so dense and heavy? Why?

Jan

3 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:50pm
post #2 of 4

did you try it while it was cold? It could seem dense just because it was firm.

Sweet_Delaney_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Delaney_cakes Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 4

You should let your cake get to room temp before trying it. A cake straight out of the fridge will always seem dense and heavy. If I have a cake that needs to be kept in the fridge I always let it sit out for a bit before serving it.

wjntbc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wjntbc Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 3:04am
post #4 of 4

Yes it turn out better in the room temperature, however i wish to get the cake that it taste good and have the right texture even come out from the fridge, just like what we eat at the cafe they all come out from the cold fridge and serve immediately.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%