How Many Days In Advance Can I Make & Decorate A Cake?

Decorating By SweetsDecor Updated 16 Aug 2010 , 5:40am by Sunshine0063

SweetsDecor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetsDecor Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 2:30am
post #1 of 9

Venters, please be aware that I did search this topic and saw a few other answers, but wanted to ask again with a few more of my own details so that I can be super comfortable that I'm getting the best info.

I have a girlfriend who's asked if I can do a cake for her daughter's birthday (she wants a barbie cake which I love doing), but the party is 8/28 (a Saturday) and I'm supposed to go out of town the day before that, on 8/27. Could I make the cake Wednesday, decorate and deliver Thursday for a cake that's going to be eaten on Saturday? Or is that too long? Just wants a butter cake with white chocolate buttercream.

Any help is appreciated. But please don't lecture me on searching this topic in other forums. As I stated earlier, I did that and just wanted to ask again to get a few more opinions.

Thanks!!

8 replies
KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 2:53am
post #2 of 9

It should be fine. I would have her keep it in the fridge but I'm sure there others who will say that isn't needed. It will still be fresher than a store-bought cake.

Kristy

illustreeous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
illustreeous Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:16am
post #3 of 9

Thanks for asking it again LOL I hesitate to do so because of some angry people !
I had the same question for the same dates but my creation will need to be covered in fondant so I assume I would cover it in plastic wrap of some sort?

goodluck!!

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:24am
post #4 of 9

Keep it covered - a bakery box works well. You want a little bit of airflow so it doesn't get all gummy. Should be fine for the Barbie cake and for illustreeous' fondant cake. thumbs_up.gif

SweetsDecor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetsDecor Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:35am
post #5 of 9

thank you guys. I appreciate no one jumping on me about "Look at the previous forum topics" LOL. I don't want to be the reason someone vents tonight, but just needed a little help.

icon_smile.gif

fairmaiden0101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fairmaiden0101 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:43am
post #6 of 9

I don't get why people get mad about that, if they don't want to waste time repeating anything then why do they take the time to vent...whatever. Anyhow, I have left my fondant cakes out that long and they are fine. The cake is kept moist by the fondant, for a short time such as that. Make sure though that they keep the house cool, I tend to keep a fan running in the room where the cake is until it is time to deliver! HTH

illustreeous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
illustreeous Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:47am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keep it covered - a bakery box works well. You want a little bit of airflow so it doesn't get all gummy. Should be fine for the Barbie cake and for illustreeous' fondant cake.

awesome! im always told to keep it in the fridge but even living in southern cal we keep the temperture at our kitchen around 65-70.. i can't work if its any lower!
I definitely appreciate the insight piccolo! I have a couple "cake" boxes left over from a huge purchase at michael's - comparing them to my local cakery .. they are about the same i assume?

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 4:57am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by illustreeous

I definitely appreciate the insight piccolo! I have a couple "cake" boxes left over from a huge purchase at michael's - comparing them to my local cakery .. they are about the same i assume?

Yep - cake box, bakery box, same thing! Just figure that you want to keep the dust and other airborne particles off the cake while still letting some air move around it. Fondant especially goes horribly gummy if it's sealed up (my first fondant cake I stuck in my airtight Tupperware cake carrier and the fondant completely melted right off the cake!) so something like a cake box, or even a new, clean cardboard moving box for large cakes is peachy. thumbs_up.gif

Sunshine0063 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine0063 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 5:40am
post #9 of 9

how about decorating it and keeping it in the freezer ??? I need to do a buttercream for the same date but only have Monday and Tuesday off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%