At My Wit's End!!

Baking By Herekittykitty Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 1:55pm by Herekittykitty

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 8

I have made six 8" rounds today and this has happened to the BOTTOM of 5 of them. No you aren't seeing things, it is an acual baked in convex dent! icon_eek.gificon_mad.gif

This is a tried and true lemon cake from scratch, the only thing I did differently was use Magic Line pans rather than Wilton.

All renditions were greased and floured, some had parchment circles.

I don't know what to do at this point, I have tried everything I can think of, less mixing, lower temp, etc...

Has this happened to anyone else and if so, how in the world can I keep it from happening again? I love my new straight sides; please, please, please don't let it be the pans.

Can't post picture for some reason. icon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gif

7 replies
DiviniDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiviniDee Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 8

I have had that happen when I check the cakes in the middle of baking, my temp is too low or the cake is shifted while baking. I have also had to change my flour to get a better result. I have never had trouble due to the pans. I am sure you will figure it out. Good luck!

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 8

Could it be your ingredients...such as slightly older eggs...expired ingredients. That is what I would check first.

Herekittykitty Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 8

I bought everything either today or yesterday... I could see the top falling with that but the bottom coming out of the pan with a convex dent? It's not an air bubble, but fully baked in. I know my racks are level.

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 8

If you still have your Wilton pan, you could just make one more (if you have time and/energy) and see what happens. If the same thing happens then you know it has not be something else besides the pans. I can't imagine baking 6 of them!!!

You wrote only 5 out of 6 had it. I'm guessing there was not anything you did differently on the other one.

Best of luck!

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:00pm
post #6 of 8

Were you baking a bunch of them at once? That can reduce the oven temp enough to cause under-baking and - as a result - a sunken middle. I baked two med-sized sheets together yesterday, and they took a full ten minutes longer to bake than the single sheet (same size) I baked right after them.

Herekittykitty Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:56pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adevag

If you still have your Wilton pan, you could just make one more (if you have time and/energy) I have to make another set, it is for a contest this weekend. and see what happens. If the same thing happens then you know it has not be something else besides the pans. I can't imagine baking 6 of them!!!

You wrote only 5 out of 6 had it. I'm guessing there was not anything you did differently on the other one. Yeah, I don't know why the last one didn't have the dent, well it did but just a teeny tiny one that I could fill with icing and no one would ever know.

Best of luck!

Only bake 2 rounds at a time.

I am going to try a fower nail tonight and see if that solves the problem.
- Still can't get pictures to post.

Herekittykitty Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:55pm
post #8 of 8

Well, tried again last night and cakes 7-8 were a success!! I tossed my baking powder which should have still been good and borrowed some from my neighbor, turned down the oven to 325 and baked FOREVER. The top is a little overdone but I'm going to level that off anyway, the improtant part is it is completely cooked with FLAT bottoms.

Thanks for listening to my vent and the suggestions.

PS: I'm an idiot - convex means out, concave is in. The dents (which are inherently pushed in) were concave, only on the bottom of the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%