Wasc Cupcakes And Shrinking..help!

Baking By lolobell Updated 16 Aug 2010 , 3:21am by lolobell

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 11

Hi everyone..

I always use WASC as my staple recipe for white cake...i was asked to make them as cupcakes for a wedding coming up next weekend..

when i did a practice run (since i've never used the recipe for cupcakes), they seemed to shrink quite a bit...and in turn caused the papers to peel away from the cupcakes. i know there could be a great number of other reasons the paper peeling could happen....but i'm wondering if the sour cream in the recipe played a roll? and is that a good recipe to use for cupcakes? hate to change it now considering it's what the bride wanted and it's less than a week away...
just was in awe at all the shrinking...

thanks
MAR

10 replies
karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 11

What brand of cake mix do you use? I use DH for the WASC and made 200 cupcakes for a wedding...while they don't bake up as big (domed) - they never pulled away from the liner. I wonder if it is the flour of cake mix that you are using that is causing the problem...

lolobell Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 11

HI! thanks for the reply..i do use DH as well...how full do you fill the liners? maybe i'm not filling them enough batter? i was using 3 TBSP..

ILoveDaffodils Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILoveDaffodils Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 6:46pm
post #4 of 11

The paper liners falling off is a big topic of discussion here on CC and elsewhere on the net. Everyone seems to have different ideas about what causes it. It happens to me as well sometimes and I have been trying many different things to try to fix it. When I use the WASC with DH, I find I have to fill the liners just a little bit more than usual. I use a scoop that is about 3 tbsp and then take a regular spoon and put just a dollop more in. I bake at 400 degrees for about 6 minutes and then go back to 350. The combination seems to be the best for keeping the liners on and creating a slight dome. I also find that storing in plastic airtight container make the loose wrapper problem worse. If I need to store overnight I use cardboard bakery boxes. Sorry for going on so long.

lolobell Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 7:13pm
post #5 of 11

don't feel bad about "going on" ! i appreciate your time.

i did read pages and pages on CC last night about all the possible reasons papers peel away...guess it could be just about anything!!

thanks again for you info! much appreciated!

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 7:48pm
post #6 of 11

I fill my liners with a 1/4 measuring cup, level it off, scoop out the batter and then bake at 325.

lolobell Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 8:25pm
post #7 of 11

thanks karenm!!!!!

lolobell Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 8:45pm
post #8 of 11

KarenM

I failed to ask how long you bake them at 325? and how long you let them in cool the pan before removing them?

Thank *again*

icon_smile.gif

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 9:03pm
post #9 of 11

I don't use WASC but i find if i over beat my batter the cc shrink and pull away from the wrappers HTH

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 2:58am
post #10 of 11

I find shrinking happens when I undertake. Try 350 for about 21 minutes and see what happens. Ever since I havevgone the three extra minutes, I have not gotten any shrinking cupcakes.

lolobell Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:21am
post #11 of 11

a huge thank you to everyone for their help..

many, many thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%