Hersheys Choc Cake Q

Decorating By eve81 Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 1:14pm by Tiffany29

eve81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve81 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 9

happy weekend everyone!

want to do a cake for friends LO and after testing the hershey recipe last night I want to make it again (and again, and again...) icon_wink.gif
If I baked a hershey's choc cake tonight, and frosted and decorated tomorrow, would it be ok for a party on tuesday??? Im actually subbing the milk for soya milk too so hoping that doesnt affect it?
thanks icon_smile.gif

8 replies
Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 9

I think it would be fine. I made one on Tuesday and had a piece last night and it's still good.
I have never used soy milk in this recipe. I have used rice milk before with no problems.

eve81 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 9

excellent, Thanks! Would have preferred to use rice milk but our local store isnt great. im lucky they had any dairy free milk at all.
icon_smile.gif

Beansss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beansss Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 9

That is my go to chocolate cake recipe - so good! It is very moist, so I think you will be okay. icon_smile.gif

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by eve81

excellent, Thanks! Would have preferred to use rice milk but our local store isnt great. im lucky they had any dairy free milk at all.
icon_smile.gif

Maybe try the health food store for rice milk (if there is one close by).
and I have actually never made this recipe, but heard rave reviews about it. there was actually a thread about it yesterday, which lots of the members on here, uses strong coffee in the place of the water.

and I think you cake will be fine if it is iced and store in a proper place.

eve81 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 8:04am
post #6 of 9

oooooh not sure about how the cake has turned out! I made it exactly like the last one except for the soy milk and it's not risen very much. Layers are just over an inch high. bummer!
Wish I had planned ahead better. we dont have a local health store but there is one 30 minutes away which I could have gotten rice milk from. Dont even know what it tastes like because i dont want to trim the already height challenged layers! aaaaarrrrrggghhhhhhh! lol

(Uniqueask - I noticed that thread and used the coffee recommendation. Great thread icon_smile.gif )

Tiffany29 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:26pm
post #7 of 9

[quote="eve81"]oooooh not sure about how the cake has turned out! I made it exactly like the last one except for the soy milk and it's not risen very much. Layers are just over an inch high. bummer!
Wish I had planned ahead better. we dont have a local health store but there is one 30 minutes away which I could have gotten rice milk from. Dont even know what it tastes like because i dont want to trim the already height challenged layers! aaaaarrrrrggghhhhhhh! lol

(Uniqueask - I noticed that thread and used the coffee recommendation. Great thread icon_smile.gif )[/quote

Did you use hot or cold coffee? I use cold or room temp coffee. The one time I used hot coffee the cake sank in the middle. I just figured since the recipe calls for boiling water that the hot coffee would work, but it didn't.
That may be why it didn't rise as much.

eve81 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 10:11am
post #8 of 9

@ Tiffany. I used boiling hot coffee! lol I think i'll pour the cup of coffee and let it sit for a while the next time then to see if there's a difference.
When I tasted the cake the next morning it was yummy so I used it anyway icon_smile.gif A bit like a mudcake!

Tiffany29 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:14pm
post #9 of 9

That was probably it! I sometimes put the coffee in the fridge or freezer if I don't want to wait for cool off.
This happened to me when I made my mom's b-day cake. I was still able to use mine, I just cut the tops of the cakes off. It tasted good.

Good luck next time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%