Why Wont My Buttercream Turn A Complete Colour?

Baking By xSam12x Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 3:19pm by tracycakes

xSam12x Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xSam12x Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 11

Please help, ive just made some cupcakes and wanted to do pink buttercream topping but the buttercream wont go a full colour, im left with specks of the original cream colour and cant get a full pink. i used a wisk to mix it is as much as possible and was using wilton rose gel colouring. it works perfect for colouring icing to cover a cake. what am i doing wrong?? icon_sad.gif

Thank you

10 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 11

Have you tried using a spatular and giving your bowl a good scraoe around the sides - and especially down the bottom of your mixing bowl?

Then as when you fold egg whites - use your spatular to *cut and fold* throw the BC.
Then give it another blast with your wisk attachment.

Actually - do you have the Paddle attachment? - I prefer to use that.

Bluehue.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:57am
post #3 of 11

What exactlymis your buttercream recipe? Is it made with butter or shortening? This will make a difference in how color takes.

Cake_Bliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Bliss Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 3:14am
post #4 of 11

I have only had that problem when I used the 1/2 butter 1/2 shortening recipes and it just didn't want to mix well, but I live in Fl so sometimes my weather affects it.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:05pm
post #5 of 11

Without seeing your recipe to know exacly what's in there.
My guess is you have used vegetable shorting and that it isn't mixed well so your "little white specs" are little bits of the crisco which won't take color.

To avoid this in the future you'll want to make sure that you cream your crisco longer to get all of those little pieces smoothed out and they'll incorporate with your PS better.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:49pm
post #6 of 11

I'm not understanding why there are specs, but sometimes color has to 'bloom' to become as dark as you'd like. I've walked away from red for several hours when it was a dark pink and found a vibrant red when I got back.

xSam12x Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xSam12x Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 7:25pm
post #7 of 11

ive been using butter and icing sugar. ive had no problems when mixing in liquid colouring but the paste just doesnt seem to take. the more i put in the darker the colour goes but still cream left in there :/ i would just go back to using liquid colouring but i have lots of wilton paste pots and i love the colours so its a shame not to use them

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 7:48pm
post #8 of 11

Perhaps try mixing a little buttercream with your gel colour in a separate bowl, then add that small fully coloured amount to your bowl on the mixer? Either make that small amount a couple of shades darker, or keep doing this process bit by bit til you get the shade you are looking for.
I have found that adding colour with a toothpick to my main bowl can sometimes mean I get uncoloured bits.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 9:08pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSam12x

ive been using butter and icing sugar. ive had no problems when mixing in liquid colouring but the paste just doesnt seem to take. the more i put in the darker the colour goes but still cream left in there :/ i would just go back to using liquid colouring but i have lots of wilton paste pots and i love the colours so its a shame not to use them

Have your containers of paste colors dried out? If they're not as creamy as they once were, add a few drops of glycerin to them, allow to soften and stir well.

bakeratheart123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakeratheart123 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 3:11pm
post #10 of 11

have you tried using a hand mixer? thats how i get my colors to mix up real good. Just put one beater on and mix for a couple mins. I hope you get it fixed!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 3:19pm
post #11 of 11

Sometimes, it's the salt in the buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%