Checkerboard On Round Cake

Decorating By MommaDukes Updated 14 Aug 2010 , 9:11pm by MommaDukes

MommaDukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaDukes Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 11:18am
post #1 of 7

I have been asked to do this cake.
My question is the checkerboard, would you cover the cake in white fondant and attach the black sqaures?
OR would you cover in white fondant and attach black and white sqaures?
I don't think you would want the black sqaures higher than the white.
OR do you have anyother suggestions?

The apple how in the world do you do an apple? This one looks plastic.

Thanks.

6 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 11:22am
post #2 of 7

can you post a link to the photo? If you tried to attach a pic it didn't attach.

MommaDukes Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 11:25am
post #3 of 7

I have tried to attach a photo and it will not attach grrr. HOpe this is not an indication of how my day is going to be.

Let's try the link http://www.sweetaustin.com/images/tw1.JPG

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 11:30am
post #4 of 7

In the picture it looks like they laid black squares on a white cake. I think it depends on the look you're going for. You could do black and white squares so they're all even. if you do only black squares i would roll out the fondnat thinner so it's not much higher than the white.

For the apple, i would form rice krispy treats and cover with fondant.

MommaDukes Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 11:45am
post #5 of 7

For the apple, i would form rice krispy treats and cover with fondant.

DUH! I knew that, it's gonna be one of those days. I should just go back to bed.

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 3:02pm
post #6 of 7

I would use just black squares on white fondant or I have done it on just white buttercream too.
Start at the bottom.. black square... then off the top corner of that black square put a black square. starting the next row up. then back down to the bottom row. you will have a nice white square in the middle. you will work 2 rows at a time.. that way you will keep your lines nice and straight. Work in a triangle.. using corners for a guide for the next.. keep your squares straight as possible.. and always start in the back.. trim your last tiles to fit. On the top of a round cake. I start in the middle of the cake (just eyeball) and work my way out.. doing the same thing.. 2 rows at a time down up down. and when you get to the edges.. just trim to the curve of the cake. see my cars cake in my gallery.. I hope this helps.. and most of all makes sense.. hehehe.. have a fabulous day! you get to work with SUGAR!!!
cut your squarse first and cover. they will be easier to handle.

MommaDukes Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 9:11pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks Bcake. I would never have thought to do it on BC. My BC is not as smooth as yours.

I'll have to practice, I was going to cut it all out then start to apply. I need it on Sept 4 so I can practice.

Thanks Again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%