Help Needed Please.. How To Make A Thistle.

Decorating By Karen_uk1 Updated 15 Aug 2010 , 1:40pm by Karen_uk1

Karen_uk1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen_uk1 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 11:53pm
post #1 of 9

Hi all
I have been asked to make a cake for a friends wedding and would love to make some thistles to add to decorate it as they are Scottish. Any ideas with instructions would be greatly appreciated. Many many thanks in advance.

8 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 4:29am
post #2 of 9

You probably haven't gotten any replies because this question was already asked today:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-692043.html

Karen_uk1 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 8:11am
post #3 of 9

Thank you for letting me know.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 12:12pm
post #4 of 9

Hope you found the info in the other thread useful.

eve81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve81 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 9:12am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen_uk1

Hi all
I have been asked to make a cake for a friends wedding and would love to make some thistles to add to decorate it as they are Scottish. Any ideas with instructions would be greatly appreciated. Many many thanks in advance.

What a coincidence! I started the other thread lol
When is your wedding? My cake is for November 27th. I'll keep you updated on any progress I make if you like/

Karen_uk1 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 9:43am
post #6 of 9

To eve81 - Yes definitely, me too lol. Wedding is Sept 18 so not long.
To CWR41 - Thank you yes I did.

Karen_uk1 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:55pm
post #7 of 9

Ok so I have had a go, quick job and the wrong colours but I think in the right colours and a more careful approach these would look okay. Please, please can I have opinions on this, don't be shy about being honest. Thanks.
Oh btw pics are in my photos.

bellatrixothersis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellatrixothersis Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:18pm
post #8 of 9

Wind some ivory cotton round your index finger about 80/100 times or more depending on how full you want the thistle head to be. Wrap a piece of 30g wire tightly around the base of the hank of cotton.

Tape a piece of 26g wire to the piece of 30g wire w green florist tape. trim off excess. use a flat paintbrush to dust a mixture of plum and violet dusting powder on the cotton to give shading.

Roll a small ball of green colored flower paste. Thread this up the wire, sticking around the thistle head with egg white. Using fine embroidery scissors, snip into green paste starting from botton working your way up.

Leaves are green on top, dust backs with white. Then you can brush vegetable fat over the leaves to give them a shine. ...good luck

Karen_uk1 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:40pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrixothersis

Wind some ivory cotton round your index finger about 80/100 times or more depending on how full you want the thistle head to be. Wrap a piece of 30g wire tightly around the base of the hank of cotton.

Tape a piece of 26g wire to the piece of 30g wire w green florist tape. trim off excess. use a flat paintbrush to dust a mixture of plum and violet dusting powder on the cotton to give shading.

Roll a small ball of green colored flower paste. Thread this up the wire, sticking around the thistle head with egg white. Using fine embroidery scissors, snip into green paste starting from botton working your way up.

Leaves are green on top, dust backs with white. Then you can brush vegetable fat over the leaves to give them a shine. ...good luck

Thank you so much for taking the time to advise. If my gumpaste ones don't work out I will give this a try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%