How Do I Make A Giant Cupcake Cake With Stacked Tiers?

Decorating By Simply_Scrumptious Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 4:41pm by kseevers

Simply_Scrumptious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Simply_Scrumptious Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 5

I just made one of my worst cakes EVER!!!! icon_cry.gif I attempted to make a giant cupcake using 3 stacked tiers of red velvet (probably my 1st mistake), filled with cream cheese icing (mistake #2) and then inverted a pyrex bowl with RKT for the top. The top became too heavy with the fondant (crushing lower tiers) even though I supported it with dowels and the fondant began to tear too!!!

GRRRRR!!! icon_mad.gif

How should I have done this for better results? Which type of cake and filling would hold up the best to make this type of sculpted cake. I was going for the style of cupcake Andrea's Sweetcakes has circulating on Flickr.

Help! Save me! Suggestions for a second run at it?

4 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 5

got any pictures? it sounds like one or more of the dowels may have slipped? the cake being too soft shouldnt really be a support issue, but if the cake moves, could move the dowels.

how tall was the cake part? more than 4-6 inches and that should be supported inside too. (im assuming you mean layers not tiers - or else its a very giant cupcake!)

if im carving cake i use either maderia or pound cake, and i always just use regular bc (indydebis normally).
xx

Simply_Scrumptious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Simply_Scrumptious Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:18pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks Brincess_B. I did mean layers of cake -must have been an off day when I posted. The base of the cake was about 6-7 " BEFORE it got crushed. I used wooden dowels, how else can I support "inside" the cake? I did slip up and forget to place a board between the top and the bottom. Live and Learn! Now, what about the top and getting the nice swirl?

SS

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 5

I'd say forgetting the board was really too blame then, too much weight to support it's self.
I think people often use the really big pastry tips to ice the top part, or cut a bigger than usual hole on a piping bag.
xx

kseevers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kseevers Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:41pm
post #5 of 5

I made one last year the way you did, with the 3 layers and the pyrex bowl on the top. I used a cake board on the bottom of top. I placed a couple dowels in the the bottom layers. I had no problems. I used a chocolate cake and just regular buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%