Timeline And Fondant/stacking Qs

Decorating By Edowd001

Edowd001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edowd001 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 1

Im making a wedding cake as a gift in two weeks, and I have a couple of questions. I have settled on a scratch vanilla butter cake, with semisweet ganache for the filling, Raspberry IMBC icing, and covered in MFF with white chocolate. This will be a three layer cake (6, 8 and 10). This is my first ever cake project and I have been practicing and testing all summer. I am truly grateful for the resources provided by everyone in the Cakecentral community I couldnt do it without all of the help Ive found here! icon_biggrin.gif

The Friday wedding is out of town, so I will be borrowing a kitchen for this project, and Im planning on the following time line:
Tuesday: Make raspberry filling and all buttercream
Wednesday: Bake layers (triple wrap cake layers and refrigerate), make ganache and make fondant bows
Thursday: Torte, brush with moistening syrup, fill, frost, and cover cakes with MFF. Leave at room temp overnight.
Friday: Transport layers, assemble on site and decorate.

Does this time line sound okay? Anything you would suggest changing?
How many lbs of fondant should I plan on for 6, 8 and 10?

I will be attempting stacking this weekend for a party on Monday (set up as a trial for the wedding), and I have a couple of questions:

Those of you who use dowels/straws cover the cakes with fondant and then insert dowels/straws, correct?

Do the cardboard rounds remain on the layers, and get covered with a border? (I think this would be easier for a novice like me, but does it help support the cake too?)

If I assemble on site, should I still insert a dowel through all the layers? How do you cover your dowel mark?

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%