Pos System For Bakery Storefront

Business By Dayti Updated 12 Feb 2016 , 1:09pm by Holmes_Bnby

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 14

I just wondered if anyone who has a bakery storefront could tell me the name of their POS provider.
Also, what made you choose one company over another? Did you prefer price, or ease of use, for example? Do you have any tips, or know of things I should avoid?
I am opening my bakery in October and need to start looking.
Thanks!

13 replies
lulus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lulus Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 14

I use Bakesmart. There have been some glitches, but the pros outweigh the cons for me. Once you buy the software, there are no more fees to pay for support. Mike and Jerred over there are very good about returning emails and phone calls any time to help. It's a little pricey, but talk to Ray when you call. Tell him you're just starting out, etc., and more than likely he will let you break up payments, or throw in some extras. Overall, Bakesmart is my recommendation, and I researched a LOT before I purchased it.

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 14

Dayti,
I'm looking for a program too. Have you researched any others ? Bakesmart looks great, but seems like it might be too much for my little bakery.
Lulus...how much does Bakesmart cost approximately ? I can't find that info list anywhere on their site.

lulus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lulus Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 10:14pm
post #4 of 14

The reason you won't find prices on the Bakesmart website is because they start off with a base program, and you can add modules as you need them. I also don't want to quote you any prices since my information is two years old. Call, and talk to Ray. He gets a little wordy, but can answer any question you may have.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 10:21pm
post #5 of 14

Thankyou for your help lulus. I should have explained myself better - I am really looking for the hardware provider (e.g. Micros, ICG), to get the touch screen POS, printer etc. I am in Spain so I know I can get certain hardware brands over here, and most have some kind of their own software which would be suitable for me.
So I guess my question should have been which hardware provider did you go with? Of course if they don't have suitable software, I will have to look elsewhere for that, but I am going to need it in Spanish icon_rolleyes.gif

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 11:38am
post #6 of 14

I went into sticker shot when I talked to the pOS systems out there....Maybe next year! haha! (It is THOUSANDS of dollars!)

My Cash register lets you export out to Quickbooks and I Just do that..it works great.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 12:25pm
post #7 of 14

loriemoms:
What kind of cash register do you have?

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:29am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengyrl26

loriemoms:
What kind of cash register do you have?

Its a sharp. I will have to check the model number. You just hook up your laptop or PC through its USB port and you can program four tax rates, and clerk names, etc. But it also exports quickbook files right into quickbooks (YOu have to have it opened on the PC)

Vanilla Bean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanilla Bean Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 10:40pm
post #9 of 14

I just looked up Bakesmart and I selected the bare minimum of features and it was over $8,000.  Way too pricey. Has anyonen else found a cloud based POS system for a storefront that isn't so expensive or that includes monthly payments.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 11:26pm
post #10 of 14

AShopKeep looks like an interesting option, hardware is $1200 + $50/month for 1 register. It's built around an iPad.

http://www.shopkeep.com

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 20 Feb 2013 , 11:12pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

ShopKeep looks like an interesting option, hardware is $1200 + $50/month for 1 register. It's built around an iPad.

http://www.shopkeep.com

Yep!

Definitely check out the iPad options.  Square even has one now that I saw in action and it looked to be very simple (and the owner said she loved it) and it's cheap compared to Bakesmart (although I am sure it's not nearly as feature rich).  I am in the process of comparing all of the iPad POS offerings for our retail opening in July.  Also check out Revel.  I am slightly leaning towards Shopkeep at this point but I am only in the beginning stages of my research.   Best of luck!

sakshisyan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sakshisyan Posted 5 Mar 2014 , 5:25am
post #12 of 14

I have a store but not of bakery and i am using possible pos and its working fine. You can you it if you want.

Thanks

TheSugarLab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheSugarLab Posted 5 Mar 2014 , 4:55pm
post #13 of 14

I use Square for my register. We bought the stand to put the iPad in. It's nice because it looks like a register without the bulk. I can also track products, credit card payments, cash, check, gift certificates etc. And all of the reports are available online. Haven't had any complaints yet!

Holmes_Bnby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Holmes_Bnby Posted 12 Feb 2016 , 1:09pm
post #14 of 14

I'm owner of small bakery, price is crucial for me, so I chose www.ehopper.com, absolutely free POS software with included all features, any additional fees. Very useful for my business and easy to use. Helps me to track inventory, suppliers, clients, understandable reporting. You can try it. Nothing to lose, anyway it's free.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%