What Size Square Pans For 2 Tier 50 Serving?

Decorating By KsCakes09 Updated 12 Aug 2010 , 2:45pm by indydebi

KsCakes09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KsCakes09 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:39pm
post #1 of 7

I always get nervous that the cake won't feed the amount of people requested. Even more so when its being cut by the customer not a venue. It will be double layer w/ filling. I usually go by Wilton, but most of the time you are either way over or under servings......HELP!!!

6 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:51pm
post #2 of 7

My serving size is 1x2x4 (standard industry serving - which is the wilton wedding chart - their party chart has larger servings) If the customer wants to serve larger peices then they need to order more servings.

For 50 servings in a square cake I would use a 6/8
6 = 18 servings
8 = 32 servings

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:54pm
post #4 of 7

It's important to tell/provide a chart on how the cake should be cut to get the required no. of servings, that way they can't blame you if they cut it wrong and run out.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:00pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRowesHunny

It's important to tell/provide a chart on how the cake should be cut to get the required no. of servings, that way they can't blame you if they cut it wrong and run out.

Oh definitely! I always send a copy of indydebi's cutting guide along with a cake. It works for every shaped cake and it is using the standard 1x2x4 serving.

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:28pm
post #6 of 7

KsCakes09, I feel the same way you do about the wilton charts. Especially when the cake is being cut by "non-professionals". What I have begun doing is averaging out the wilton wedding and party charts. What I mean is, (for example)if the party chart says 24 and the wedding chart says 36, I split the difference and figure that the cake will serve about 30.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:45pm
post #7 of 7

Agree with the above numbers that a 6/8 would be sufficient. However when I have a client who wants EXACTLY those servings, I always offer them the choice:

"A 6/8 will serve exactly 50 people when cut in the industry standard 1x2x4. If you think your family might cut them a little bigger, you might consider a 6/10, which will serve 62 standard servings. Which do you prefer?"

I'd say 99.9% of the time, the client goes with the bigger cake (and I make more money). thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%