Gold Dragees

Decorating By tannersmom Updated 13 Aug 2010 , 9:27am by sweettreat101

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 11:03pm
post #1 of 5

I have a request for a cake on Sat that needs gold dragees placed in swirls of icing. My husband puchased them yesterday for me from the cake store (it's near his work). On the package it says, "To be used as a decoration NOT a confection". The ingredients on the label are sugar, flour and gold. So why can't you eat these? Is it because of the gold? I have used Dragees before and the package never said this. It was a different brand too. Well, I opened the package and of course, had to try one. Tasted fine. Taste just like the others. Has anyone else seen this before and would you use these or toss them out?

Thanks,
Stephanie

4 replies
therese379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therese379 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 5

hi tannersmom, I use silver and gold dragees all the time, they will only be bad for you if you eat them all, at once... yuk... don't waste your money keep them... icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 5

I think it is solely for liability purposes that they put that on the package. We ate them all the time when we were kids, and I use them on cakes now.

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:43pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the help. I was thinking the same thing. Wasn't sure if anyone else felt the same way.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 9:27am
post #5 of 5

I live in Ca and they are illegal here. Years ago there was a law suit because people ate them like candy and it made them sick. Has something to do with the metal used in making the product.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%