I Need Skills Fast!

Decorating By theonlynameleft Updated 11 Aug 2010 , 5:40am by theonlynameleft

theonlynameleft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theonlynameleft Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 5:12am
post #1 of 5

Hey all, my nephew's birthday is on Friday, as the family is heading to Aussie next week they aren't bothering with a birthday party or cake or anything icon_sad.gif So I thought I would surprise him with a small cake on his birthday. He is a huge Buzz Lightyear fan and I would love recreate the way that Buzz has been done on this cake. Not entirely sure how so would love some help/instructions pretty please! Is it a frozen buttercream transfer??? Help!!!!! detective.gif
LL

4 replies
myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 5:17am
post #2 of 5

Buzz in made from fondant. Looks like he was cut out with and exacto knife and all the pieces added to "bring him to life"

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 5:32am
post #3 of 5

It looks like a template of Buzz was made and placed on top of rolled white fondant and cut out with a sharp exacto knife; then the accent pieces of his outfit was cut from colored fondant and the seaming details was made with a with a modeling tool.

I make my templates by copying an image then laminate it with thin laminate sheets. Then I cut out the shape of the image, I use it, wash and dry it and it's reusable. For something like this, I would make two copies of Buzz; one for his body and the other to cut out the shapes of the accents to get the exact shape and size. Use card stock for your templates if you don't laminate, it's sturdier. When rolling out fondant let set for 10-15 mins. and you will get a cleaner cut and dip the blade in cornstarch if experiencing the fondant pulling. I can't help with the face. HTH.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 5:34am
post #4 of 5

Forgot to say, Welcome to CC.

theonlynameleft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theonlynameleft Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 5:40am
post #5 of 5

Thanks Yummy! Yikes, hadn't zoomed in on that face before - was just thinking I could possibly pull of the rest of it but the face is a whole other can of worms! Maybe I could make a headless Buzz!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%