Quilling Fondant Cakes

Decorating By misspatti Updated 11 Aug 2010 , 3:13pm by Bluehue

misspatti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misspatti Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:17am
post #1 of 13

I love the look of quilling on cakes, but cannot find out any info on how to do this properly and professional looking. Can anyone help????? icon_eek.gif

12 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:36am
post #2 of 13

Welcome misspatti to CC

I haven't seen alot of it on here - just the occassional picture.
Have you Googled *quilling on cakes* and then not only checked with the web but also goggle images - there are hundreds of pages to browse through and many a blog showing different styles and ideas.
Such a beautiful art when seen on cakes, isn't it?

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

MELI_CAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MELI_CAKES Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:46am
post #3 of 13

I use the Wilton fondant embosser . You can use the smooth edge or use the serrated edge for a stitching look to your quilting.
TO quilt using a ruler start at one corner and align it at a 45 degree angle. (AKA Diagonal) Using the ruler as a guide make your outline with medium pressure. Then use the ruler to make the same markings in one to two inch increments all the way across.
When you get to the the end, reverse the angle of the ruler to the opposite side ( a reflection of what you did in the first direction) and repat the steps. Every line you make in this direction will cross the first lines you made and create the diamond pattern that comes with quilting.
I hope that helps!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:57am
post #4 of 13

Meli,
Your quilting tips are very helpful. Thanks for them.
However, Misspatti is looking for quiLLing, not quilTing, on cakes.

misspatti Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:59am
post #5 of 13

maybe I used the wrong term...it's sounds like the quilting is what I want. Sorry--where they often put a little silver ball in each little corner and it looks so beautiful!!

cutthecake Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 2:25am
post #6 of 13

That's quiLTing, not quiLLing! Both look good on cakes!
Sorry, Meli. MY mistake!
Misspatti, did you try searching for "quilted" cakes? Here are the results I got:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&meta=search&type=full&search=quilted&album=-&search_user=

Bluehue Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 2:29am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by misspatti

maybe I used the wrong term...it's sounds like the quilting is what I want. Sorry--where they often put a little silver ball in each little corner and it looks so beautiful!!

LOLLLL - I thought you were talking about quiLLing - not quiLTing -
In that case - here you go

http://www.cakesbysam.com/store/cart.php?target=product&product_id=21524&category_id=263

There are varying sizes - but at least this link will help you get started to find what you are looking for.

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

misspatti Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 2:30am
post #8 of 13

thanks for all your help (sorry--new to cake decorationg) but I have been looking up both and found nothing and in minutes you guys helped me!! Way to go!! Thanks

Tea42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tea42 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 2:53am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by misspatti

I love the look of quilling on cakes, but cannot find out any info on how to do this properly and professional looking. Can anyone help????? icon_eek.gif

I did mine using an old tracing wheel; you can make a good template using a paint stirrer (new of course) icon_eek.gif which has a 45 degree cut at the ends.

MELI_CAKES Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 2:13pm
post #10 of 13

This is why I love this site always something new to learn. What is Quilling on a cake?

MELI_CAKES Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 2:15pm
post #11 of 13

BY the way Miss Patti I added some pics to my gallery and there is a coin purse I did that was quilted, maybe that will help as a visual to what I advised yesterday. Good luck !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%