High Ratio Shortening?

Decorating By Cenell Updated 11 Aug 2010 , 8:56am by sweettreat101

Cenell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cenell Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 3:41am
post #1 of 12

Probably this is a silly question, icon_rolleyes.gif but I have to ask. What is the difference betwen regular shortening (crisco) and high ratio?

11 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 9:10am
post #2 of 12

Most regular shortenings now contain no trans fat. Once you remove trans fat it's hard for liquids to mix making your colors separate. Hi ratio contains trans fat and other imulsions which make for a nice fluffy frosting. Colors mix wonderfully with hi ratio with not separation. Now indeby's frosting used Dream whip which I believe helps when using Crisco. I never use Crisco since the changed their recipe. I tried to make my regular butter cream with Crisco and my colors would not mix at all. Hi ratio is so worth the extra cost. I won't use anything else in my frostings.

sweettreat101 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 9:11am
post #3 of 12

Plus with Hi ratio you won't get the greasy taste in your mouth that you get with regular shortening.

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 12:42pm
post #4 of 12

Can this be bought at Sams club? I looked at GFS and they didn't have it!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:02pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy1204

Can this be bought at Sams club? I looked at GFS and they didn't have it!

Not that I"m aware. I buy mine through a supplier for restaurants/bakeries etc. in 50 pound cubes. The cake supply I go to also carries it in small quanities.

It might not be a bad idea to ask next time you're at Sam's Club--since all the 'over the counter' shortenings have changed to trans-fat free they may have a market for it.

momsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsgoodies Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:04pm
post #6 of 12

Hi girls!!!

Can anyone give me the brand(s) of that hi ratio shortening to check if I can find it here. I am Puerto Rico.

Thank you!!

cakeprof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeprof Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:13pm
post #7 of 12

If you read advertisements for hi-ratio shortenings they claim they have "microemulsifiers" to add in the absorption of sugar and water. I could not find anything explaining what those are but nothing mentions that this effect is the result of transfat. In fact companies that make hi-ratio shortenings have started offering hi-ratio shortening with no transfat. Whether this stuff will be as good as the stuff with transfat remains to be seen. But like Crisco hi ratio may end up going to no transfat, especially if more states pass laws like California did requiring baked goods to contain no transfats.

IsaSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IsaSW Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 7:37pm
post #8 of 12

Sweetex and Alpine.
Just ordered some from the bakers kitchen on line.

Cenell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cenell Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 9:49pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreat101

Most regular shortenings now contain no trans fat. Once you remove trans fat it's hard for liquids to mix making your colors separate. Hi ratio contains trans fat and other imulsions which make for a nice fluffy frosting. Colors mix wonderfully with hi ratio with not separation. Now indeby's frosting used Dream whip which I believe helps when using Crisco. I never use Crisco since the changed their recipe. I tried to make my regular butter cream with Crisco and my colors would not mix at all. Hi ratio is so worth the extra cost. I won't use anything else in my frostings.

Thank you so much!!! thumbs_up.gif Sorry I reply so late.

jatis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jatis Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 10:11pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by momsgoodies

Hi girls!!!

Can anyone give me the brand(s) of that hi ratio shortening to check if I can find it here. I am Puerto Rico.

Thank you!!

momsgoodies as far I know "Manteca Emulsificada" is the same as Hi-Ratio Shortening, you can find it in the cake supplies at PR

Kaylani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaylani Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:26am
post #11 of 12

GFS orders Sweetex for you in 50 lb boxes. It costs about $85. They dont have it in stock, but check with the front desk. They are always super nice at ours. icon_biggrin.gif

sweettreat101 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 8:56am
post #12 of 12

Kitchen Krafts carries it also Fondant source. I purchase it at my local cake store for 2.49 a pound. I live in Ca and they do sell it over the counter so I don't know why someone would say it's against the law to sell in baked goods. The cake stores out here use it on all their cakes. I heard that they are trying to ban trans fat shortening but I have been hearing that for years.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%