Omg......pls Help Me Respond

Decorating By msthang1224 Updated 19 Aug 2010 , 9:03pm by msthang1224

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 23

Hi, I am in shock, I just had a custonmer ask me "HOW MANY LBS WILL HER CAKE BE"? I have never in all of my 3yrs (doesn't seem that long, lol) had a customer ask me this question. I couldn't even give an answer because I honostly don't know the answer. She has order an 6in, 8in & 12in tiered cake without filling.

Has anyone ever posed this question too anyone of you? If so, how did you respond?
Does anyone know the answer to this question? How woyuld I begin to figure this equation out?

I am so at a lost right now. PLS HELP, IF YOU CAN, THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Sincerely,
Tee

22 replies
FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 23

I would tell her that I'm sorry, but I don't weigh my cakes and really can't give her an answer.

Beansss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beansss Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 23

I don't know the answer but I think maybe she just wants an estimate. Maybe she is trying to figure out if she'd be able to lift it by herself or if a certain table would be able to support the weight. Hopefully, someone will come along shortly who has an idea of what it would way. icon_smile.gif)

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 10:13pm
post #4 of 23

You didn't mention what kind of cake flavors, but as long as you're using white, chocolate, red velvet, or yellow, etc. (instead of German chocolate or carrot cake), here's what I came up with:

6" (between 7.5 oz. - 8 oz. ea. layer) x 2 = approx. 1 lb.
8" (between 10.5 oz. - 15 oz. ea. layer) x 2 = 1.31 - 1.88 lbs.
12" (between 28.75 oz - 46 oz. ea. layer) x 2 = 3.59 - 5.75 lbs.
so, the low end would be 5.90 lbs. to no more than 8.63 lbs. total for cake.

Add 11 - 11.5 lbs. of buttercream, and the total rounded weight would be almost 17 lbs to no more than 20.5 lbs., not including fondant (you're on your own there, if it's a fondant cake!), and not including plates, pillars, circles, or an enormous amount of extra decorations besides roses or borders.

I hope this helps.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 23

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif umm..okay...is she wondering what kind of table she can put it on??? I had a woman ask me that once. I simply told her my usual stacked cakes run 40 lbs +.

how about summing it up this way. Heavy enough that you cant put it on a traytable. Light enough for a card table. But for best assurance use a real table.

or is she wanting the poundage for consumption purposes.. If that is the case then I would say, "the size cake you ordered will allow you to gain 2 ass sizes bigger, and you might want to go ahead and plan on an inch increase on the right thigh, and 2 inches on the left love handle. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

swapnilgupta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swapnilgupta Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 10:19pm
post #6 of 23

I am sure she must be from India.I am from India and there we order cakes by pounds.The cake are usually round or square sheets cakes .

GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 10:26pm
post #7 of 23

swapnilgupta is correct, some countries charge their cakes by the pound and not by serving.

cyndiK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cyndiK Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 10:29pm
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Quote:

or is she wanting the poundage for consumption purposes.. If that is the case then I would say, "the size cake you ordered will allow you to gain 2 ass sizes bigger, and you might want to go ahead and plan on an inch increase on the right thigh, and 2 inches on the left love handle.

Hilarious.....

bennett5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bennett5 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 10:31pm
post #9 of 23

WoW, we learn something new everyday on here !

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 10:47pm
post #10 of 23

oh Tesso, that is so hilarious!!!!!!!!!!! That's gonna keep me laughing for a while

msthang1224 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 11:18pm
post #11 of 23

Thanks to everyone who responded and thanks for the laughs too.
I don't think she was asking for table size purposes bc she didn't even mention a table, hmmmm, weird huh? And bnope, she's not from India either. I think I stunned her with my price, lol.

CWR41: Thank You, Thank You, Thank You !! This is just what I needed. You are a lifesaver, she really threw me out with this question. I think what happened was, when I mentioned the price to her she must have went into shock herself, lol. I say this because it took her 2nd call back to me to ask this question. She accepted my price by the way icon_smile.gif oh, yes it is a fondant covered cake too. I will use what you have given to me and add on from there. THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH.

Tesso: When I read your comment I almost choked on my water, lmbo...... that is too funny and boy oh boy, if I could have said that, I would have and with a BIG SMILE TOO icon_wink.gif

THANKS A BUNCH YOU GUYS :_>

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 11:33pm
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by msthang1224

oh, yes it is a fondant covered cake too. I will use what you have given to me and add on from there. THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH.

thumbs_up.gif You might need to subtract some of the weight for the buttercream that I figured since you're using fondant too, if you only use a thin layer of BC under the fondant. (or leave it calculated in to make up for extra layers of fondant decorations.)

Please let us know why the bride is requesting this information... I'm curious now!

msthang1224 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 11:38pm
post #13 of 23

Great info, thanks. Yes, I'm dying to deliver the msg that I have an answer to her question. You are AWESOME!!

Thanks again, you guys always always help me out of a bind, THANKS, XOXOXOXOXOXOXO TO EVERYONE!!

vaniti716 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vaniti716 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 11:40pm
post #14 of 23

Is she spanish? the reason i ask is because we buy our cakes by the pound....its weird but thats how they calculate how big we want our cakes to be...keep in mind when this question is asked its assumed that buttercream and decorations are included in the weight.... icon_biggrin.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 12:03am
post #15 of 23

Or you can calculate the weight as a "single hernia" or a "double hernia" or a "full-blown rupture".

msthang1224 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 12:19am
post #16 of 23

LMBO.....YOU GUYS ARE SO FUNNY........MY STOMACH IS HURTING icon_smile.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 12:51am
post #17 of 23

The fact that she wanted the poundage and was shocked at the price makes me wonder if she's not like my Grandma. For some strange reason, she compares everything to the price of steak. So she's always figuring out the price of things per pound. I can just hear her in my head,

"Let's see...$450. for 50 pounds of cake...that's...carry the seven...let's see...that's...no...can't be...wait...it is! $9. per pound! Good lord, Everett, that's more than steak!!"

msthang1224 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:58am
post #18 of 23

LOLLLLLLLLL...... artscallion, I think I know your Grandma, lol. Love it!!

Kaylani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaylani Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:14am
post #19 of 23

I have had customers stand and talk to me while I am holding a 40+ pound cake waiting politely for them to tell me where to place it.

After about 10 minutes at a school I finally said "excuse me, can you hold this for a second" & she about fell over when I gave it over.

We found a spot for it quickly after that & she kept wowing over how heavy it was. I think it went up a notch in her estimation. Value in size I guess. icon_lol.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:15am
post #20 of 23

I agree with the folks that say she is from another country. I had an order from India this past spring. I really thought it was a hoax, but it wasn't - she was a sweet lady who wanted a cake for her fiance's birthday - who is attending college here. It took a lot of back and forth but we finally got it figured out!

msthang1224 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:25am
post #21 of 23

Lol, Kaylani, that was a smart thing you did. I bet she will never ignore a person holding a cake every again, lol.

Loucinda, she is from America and she is not Spanish (someone else askked this) either. Seriously I think she was just wanting to push me a lil to see what I would say. This was a first for me and I'm hoping it will be the last (yeah right, lol) but if not, I will definitely be prepared the next time. Thanks to CWR41 calulations and help icon_smile.gif

msthang1224 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 9:00pm
post #22 of 23

Hi Everyone, thanks for all of the responses. I told the customer today approx. How much her cake would weigh. She said "WOW"!! I lol, I said YUP that's your weight, lol.

We were discussing why would she ask that question, so here's her answer: "WOW, that's a lot of cake. I asked because where I used to order my cakes from, they are Spanish and sell cakes by the pound. I was trying to compare yours to theirs but I guess I can't do that. There is no way".

I said, oh ok, yes that's the weight of your cake and that's the price. She agreed and we are moving forward.

Thanks to everyone and a SPECIAL THANKS

msthang1224 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 9:03pm
post #23 of 23

SPECIAL THANKS TO CWR41 for working out the formula for me. Thank you thank you thank you so much. I reall appreciate it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%