Fondant Decorations To Soft, Help!

Decorating By LisaBa Updated 12 Aug 2010 , 1:57am by Kaylani

LisaBa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaBa Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 12:08pm
post #1 of 7

I made a small cake this week-end with b/c and fondant (used MMF) cutouts and decorations. They did not get hard enough and were falling and breaking. I have a LARGE cake this coming week-end with alot of detail work in fondant and it is going to be sitting outside (in NC humidity) a couple of hours before cutting. I am going to make them today. Should I mix in 1/2 gumpaste or ANY thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanksicon_smile.gif

6 replies
confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 12:29pm
post #2 of 7

What kind of fondant decorations are they? How big? How are you attaching them to the cake? That will help us (me, at least) figure out the best way to go about it! icon_biggrin.gif

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 12:50pm
post #3 of 7

I would definately add 1/2 gumpaste or just tylose and extra PS to the MMF after it is made to firm it up.

LisaBa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaBa Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 7

the cake is a faulous 50's- so I am doing records, music notes, bigger size diner sign, guitars, and I am going to attempt a girl and guy shagging. The cake is 10 and 8 inches so my decos will be fairly good size. Also, some bow loops and curly q's (which was what broke badly and also wilted this past week-end.

Thanks soooooo much for the help!

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 7

I would definitely mix in some gumpaste or even do them in 100% gumpaste if you can. It dries rock solid and is lighter weight than fondant. Making them today is a good idea too so they have a good amount of time to dry. I just recently bought a large square piece of foam from Joann's to sit fondant and gumpaste pieces to dry. That way the bottom gets dry too. Makes a big difference.

nana_marta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nana_marta Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 6:10pm
post #6 of 7

Got to have gum paste for those curly q's. Those things are almost impossible in this weather!!! Cake sounds sooooo cute! Keep us updated!

Kaylani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaylani Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:57am
post #7 of 7

Tylose all the way. I would add it and test how long a polka dot takes to dry. If it takes too long add more & repeat until it is really drying well.

Best of luck! It sounds like an adorable design! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%