Can Someone Help Me With Castle Towers?

Decorating By hensor Updated 11 Aug 2010 , 3:26pm by cownsj

hensor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hensor Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:03pm
post #1 of 21

I have a small castle cake to make for a friend. I've looked at alot of castle cakes on here and am stumped about the castle pillars. I do not want to buy the Wilton Set because I don't know that I would use them again. I keep reading that people use paper towel cardboard covered in fondant...HOW? Doesn't the cardboard get bendy with the weight of the cardboard?

Can anyone explain this to me??
Thanks.

20 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 21

There was a similar post on here yesterday or the day before that. I made one a while back and used ice cream cones. "Glued" them together end to end and rolled them in melted candy melts. I thought they turned out pretty cute:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1310416

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 21

I made mine with paper towel tubes. They don't get bendy or mushy or anything. I used royal icing to glue the fondant on, but you could just brush them lightly with a little water and the fondant will stick to it.

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:32pm
post #4 of 21

The people who do the "CakeBoss" software (sorry if I don't know names icon_redface.gif ) have a tutorial on their website on how to do a castle cake. This is what I use for my towers and the cardboard doesn't end up "mushy".

HTH

http://www.cakeboss.com/CastleTutorial.aspx

Colliegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Colliegirl Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 8:50am
post #5 of 21

Hi I am to do a castle cake too! I shall look at that tutorial, but I was wondering that I would really like to try to do the whole cake being edible including the turrets.

I purchased some sponge rolls today and I thought I could stick them end to end, to make the height, and then attach them to the main frame of the castle once I covered them in fondant. I am thinking though that the sponges may need a little help standing up, so I thought of wooden skewers or spaghetti inside them for extra support. What do you guys think of this idea? I am also thinking of using mini ice cream cones (like those in sherbert cones) to make the top of the turrets and cover the cone in fondant and then attach it to the top end of the turrets (the ones made with the sponge rolls). Can anyone foresee any problems with this?

Just researching at the moment but I need to do this cake by this weekend. Nothing like the last minute!

cr8zchpr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cr8zchpr Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:11am
post #6 of 21

I made this cake last year and I too wanted it to be all edible. For the turrets on the lower tier I carved out the tiers with them so they are cake but the tops are a couple different types of ice cream cones, for the back turret I used a pvc pipe to form my gumpaste and attached ice cream cones once the gumpaste was set. Turned out pretty good...

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1434068

Colliegirl Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:17am
post #7 of 21

What do you mean pretty good! Its absolutely gorgeous! Brilliant I would say.

Sorry I am not too sure what you mean by "carving out the tiers with them", do you mean that you carved the whole cylindrical shape of the turret with layers of cake and then attached them?

mumof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mumof3 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:39am
post #8 of 21

I tried making a castle cake both ways. (Tried being the optimum word here icon_wink.gif )

On my first attempt I used cake for the turrets as I wanted everything to be edible. The problem was the turrets needed a lot of support and started to lean once I covered it with icing.....you can see them in my pictures.

I then tried again. (Remember the optimum word... icon_lol.gif )This time I used gumpaste. This approach was much more cleaner. As for the shapes I just used thick paper for the tops and the turrets. No soggy paper at all. In fact after they dried I just loosened the paper and the turrests were able to stand with no problem. Just give yourself a lot of time for drying.

Hope this helps.

I'm sorry that I am unable to post a link to the photos but you can view them in my gallery. icon_smile.gif

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 11:31am
post #9 of 21

You could also use rice cereal treats and form the towers. I frost mine with royal icing to fill in some of the bumpy area, then cover with fondant. They hold up very well.

cr8zchpr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cr8zchpr Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 7:39pm
post #10 of 21

@colliegirl

I'm sorry I did ramble on a bit...

I used two half sheet cakes stacked them and used a template I made which included the turrets so they are attached to the body of the castle so they wouldnt fall off. I then covered it all with one piece of fondant. It doesn't look like it but it was a huge cake. The topper is 9" tall should. Hope this makes sense...

Lyndseyb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyndseyb52 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:09pm
post #11 of 21

I use pastillage for my castle turrets and they always turn out well...

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1369960

Lyndsey xx

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 12:51am
post #12 of 21

I used gumpaste for mine and it worked fine. Let dry for several days first. If you want them totally edible you could make them out of rice crispie treats and then cover in fondant.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 12:00pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndseyb52

I use pastillage for my castle turrets and they always turn out well...

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1369960

Lyndsey xx

Your cake is adorable!

Sun11598 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sun11598 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:30pm
post #14 of 21

I am by no means a pro - but I have made a couple of castle cakes. I've been very happy with using ice cream cones. 2 cake cones with small ends together - I use icing to 'glue' but I also put a skewer through the whole turret. Then a small sugar cone upside down on top - it fits perfectly onto the top of the cake cone. If it doesn't want to stand up straight I can use toothpicks through the sides of the cones to push it into the cake - I've even placed those in the cones before icing/assembling so that I didn't have to push them all the way through both sides of the cone.

02392Suze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
02392Suze Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 3:11pm
post #15 of 21

I used fondant with tylose powder added. I used kitchen towel innards for the long ones and bathroom tissue innards for the shorter ones.
I cut out the windows before attaching to the cardboard tubes and glued them at the seams with tylose pwder mixed with water as glue.
They were really sturdy and i made them a good week before.
After a few hours drying I brushed them with sparkle to add to the fairytale feel.
I then added gumpaste battlements after i had attached the cones covered in gumpaste and applied sugar colored with colouring and glitter.
Dont yet know how to add a direct link to the cake but it is in my photos
good luck..it was time consuming but really worth it

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 3:25pm
post #16 of 21

I have a castle cake in my photos and have forwarded directions to alot of CC'ers and I have only used fondant and have had no problems. If you want me to forward the directions/photos to you, I'd be happy to do so. (It's on page 4 and again on page 5 of my gallery).

Thanks and good luck!
Michelle

cakecanvass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecanvass Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 5:21pm
post #17 of 21

I made a castle cake for my daughter some years ago; that was before I got into rolled fondant. So I made it in a pale terra cotta basket weave butter cream. It was a 3 layer, 3 sizes of squares stacked; one of each layer's corner butted up at the back, which left the look of multi floors and also convenient areas perfect to place ice cream cone turrets. I made a fence around the smallest top layer.The turrets I iced and then sprinkled with sparkles. I put toothpick flags into the top of the turrets (the only inedible item on the cake) I used cut out graham crackers for the windows, doors and moat bridge. Blue coloured piping gel for the water in the moat over tin foil covered cake board provided a fun effect as well.

Colliegirl Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 8:10am
post #18 of 21

Thanks folks for your advice on this. I am wading in to this project and hoping it turns out. Will post pics of the end product (providing it is ok icon_smile.gif ) when finished. Cheers Tina

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 2:28pm
post #19 of 21

I used containers similar to the Crystal Lite drink mix ones. Covered in fondant/tylose, topped with sugar cone covered in Fon/Tyl. I did make circles of F/T and let them dry, attached them to top of tower, then cone onto that.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 3:05pm
post #20 of 21

We used RKT to make our towers. Ours was a sandcastle, so we put bc on top, then our crushed nilla wafers. For the summer, the one thing we would do differently would be to cover the RKT in candy melts, to make sure they hold their shape. and we cut out pieces of gumpaste that we wrapped around the top. (We have it in our photos)

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 3:26pm
post #21 of 21

We used RKT to make our towers. Ours was a sandcastle, so we put bc on top, then our crushed nilla wafers. For the summer, the one thing we would do differently would be to cover the RKT in candy melts, to make sure they hold their shape. and we cut out pieces of gumpaste that we wrapped around the top. (We have it in our photos)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%