Silicone Rolling Pin?

Decorating By Lori1203 Updated 8 Aug 2010 , 4:27am by Kitagrl

Lori1203 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori1203 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 10

Since I'm new to all of this I was hoping the experts could let me know if there's a preferred brand of silcone rolling pins. Or maybe just some to stay away from?

9 replies
kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 4:13am
post #2 of 10

I have never used one, so I'm not sure of the advantages over wooden ones. I've got a couple of different wood ones and a small plastic one.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 5:11am
post #3 of 10

I have a couple of wooden ones..the large Wilton fondant roller and a 26" PVC pipe that I love. The PVC pipe 'rolling pin' cost me about $3.00 and it's probably my favorite.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 1:05pm
post #4 of 10

I forgot about my PVC buddy! Yes, those are great! I also bought a length of steel shiny pipe at a home center about 3/4" in diameter and 8 inches long--it's handy tool too!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 1:44pm
post #5 of 10

I have a Sil-pin with handles and I love it. It's heavy, rolls smoothly, and nothing sticks to it. It's not just for cakes, it does great for tortillas and pie crusts too.

I also have both sizes of the Wilton white rolling pin. The small one is useful, the larger one not so much. When I try to roll fondant with the larger one, it makes my wrists hurt in a strange way.

Lori1203 Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 1:58pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks ladies. I took a cookie decorating class and the instructor said that she prefers silicone/non-stick rolling pins over wooden ones because you don't have to flour them to prevent sticking...which adds quite a bit of flour over the course of rolling and re-rolling the dough.

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 2:01pm
post #7 of 10

I am in the process of having my kitchen certified as a domestic kitchen as a home business and you cannot use any wooden utensils because (according to the state) you cannot sufficiently clean them and they harbor nasties.

Lori1203 Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 3:45pm
post #8 of 10

That's EXTREMELY helpful! I love hearing and reading tips!

I might stop using my wooden rolling pin but I'll keep it. It came to me from my grandma and to her from her grandma icon_biggrin.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 4:25am
post #9 of 10

The reason I use silicone is that it makes a smoother surface for fondant. I still flour my cookie dough, because I always have.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 4:27am
post #10 of 10

I have a sil-pin and sil-pin jr and I love both! They have handles. I can't manage the ones without handles.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%