Edible Image Printer

Decorating By DEE5 Updated 7 Aug 2010 , 1:40pm by icingimages

DEE5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEE5 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 4:29am
post #1 of 14

Any comments or suggestions on purchasing an edible image printer?

13 replies
WAdora66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WAdora66 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 5:08am
post #2 of 14

I bought an Epson Stylus NX415 a couple of months ago at Office Depot and bought my frosting sheets & edible ink from kopykake.com. I am happy with my purchases although I am having a difficult time printing out anything w/ a dark or black background. I hear that kopykake has a good tech support, so my next move is to call them and ask them how I can get it to work. It's fun to play with, but the edible ink runs out quickly, so stock up.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 12:18pm
post #3 of 14

I have an Epson c88+ and I love it. The pics come out sharp and clear. I don't regret buying it at all. I went with the older model printer because a friend of mine has this set up and never has an issue with it. I get my ink from kopykake too - I wish icingimages sold ink for the epsons, I would buy it there since she is on here so much!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 14

I just replaced my epson with a canon MP560 so I could use the gold label inks from icingimages. I was having problems with kopykake ink and wanted to try something better.

Loucinda Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 14

I just printed out an 8x10 copy of a drivers' permit, and it looks EXACTLY like the permit, I never could get images this clear and crisp from the grocery store.

tiggy2 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 5:26pm
post #6 of 14

A friend of mine has the C88 and she is also replacing it with the Canon MP560 for the same reason. Glad yours works so well.

Loucinda Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 5:46pm
post #7 of 14

icon_biggrin.gif Me too. I researched for quite awhile before buying mine. My friend (Heather) owned a canon first - and didn't have much luck with it, so she tried the Epson, I bought a couple of images from her before deciding too.

I am just glad mine works and I don't have any issues with it! thumbs_up.gif

Icingimages...I wish you would sell ink for the epsons now!

tiggy2 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 5:54pm
post #8 of 14

From what I understand they have tested both brands and feel the canon is superior so that is what they are supporting for ink.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 6:44pm
post #9 of 14

When it comes to printers, Canons are the easiest to maintain. We have tried epsons and some are flimsy and I did not want to back up because I could mess it up to easily. We test all kinds of printers and only want to support the ones that offer the fewest problems and are the easiest to maintain. Because of the removable printhead, you just cant beat Canon. People who have had problems with the canon, the problems are ususally realted to either the way they were maintained or the ink they used. There are differences in inks and with all edible inks, it is important to use your printer regularly. I sell ink for only the workforce printers by Epson. The only reason I do is that the Epson Workforce 1100 is a wide format printer and it is a better pritner than the wide format Canons. Remember, we offer tech support and I want few tech calls, so I am careful as to what I choose to carry. So, that being said, I recommend the Canon ip3600 or the Canon mp560. Both excellent choices with excellent reputations. We will have them to view at ICES booth 428/430 next week....wow, only a week away!

Loucinda Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 8:07pm
post #10 of 14

Good reasoning! Going on 2 months now and no problems yet with the Epson. I am sure it depends on which one you buy, as it is with any product.

DEE5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEE5 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 10:51pm
post #11 of 14

Thank you all sooo much for the info. I hope to make a decision today!!!!! icon_smile.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 4:10am
post #12 of 14

I've got a Canon and I am so sick and tired of the head clogging--the ink I waste!! I am probably going to put it on eBay and just buy any images I need when I need them. I'm sure it's a fine printer, I just don't use it enough to keep it from drying between uses.

kaseyrconnect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseyrconnect Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 5:27am
post #13 of 14

I bought an Epson Stylus NX515 and at first it was great, and I used it pretty regularly. But I went for a while without using it, and I forgot about printing something out just once a week, to keep it from clogging up, or drying out whatever it does and it just didn't work right. Well, I always think I can fix anything, so I tried to clean my printhead, and now it doesn't work at all. I really want an edible printer, and I have an ongoing fund that I keep adding to for the cake things I want, and I think I am going to save up for one from Icing Images. I realize that the problem with the last one was really my fault, and it was an expensive lesson to learn.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 1:40pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

I've got a Canon and I am so sick and tired of the head clogging--the ink I waste!! I am probably going to put it on eBay and just buy any images I need when I need them. I'm sure it's a fine printer, I just don't use it enough to keep it from drying between uses.

Are you printing at least once per week? How old is the printer, what model and if it is over a year old, did you ever change the printhead, perhaps I can help you get it unclogged and up and running again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%