Can You Eat Flower Paste, Modelling Paste And Gum Paste?

Decorating By Kirsty1983 Updated 6 Aug 2010 , 2:04pm by mamawrobin

Kirsty1983 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kirsty1983 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 12:38am
post #1 of 8

I was just wondering if you can you eat flower paste, modelling paste and gum paste? also how far in advance can you make cake decorations before they can't be eaten? Another words how long until they go off when made out of Royal Icing flower, paste,, modelling paste and gum paste or fondant? also what is the best way to store the decorations?

7 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:30am
post #2 of 8

Yes, you can eat them but you probably don't want to. They are a bit like cardboard in taste after they have dried. Storing them in a closed but not airtight container is best. If it's airtight the humidity will soften up the gumpaste again so let them breathe.

HTH Cat

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 12:45pm
post #3 of 8

"Edible" doesn't necessarily mean "palatable"!

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:01pm
post #4 of 8

I always tell clients not to eat the gumpaste decorations. After gumpaste dries it really is hard as a rock. I always say just because something is "edible" does not mean you should eat it!!

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:39pm
post #5 of 8

I tell people "You can eat them if you want, but they don't taste very good." Kids always seem to want to eat them. I do, obviously, tell them tehy can't eat my wired flowers.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:51pm
post #6 of 8

Yes you can eat them but agreed, they taste terrible!! Not to mention if you are using raw egg white for glue and wires in the flowers, that would certainly pose a problem as well.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:57pm
post #7 of 8

royal icing flowers, on the other hand, just taste like sugar and can be eaten with the cake. I've never heard of them "going off" but eventually they just disintegrate.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:04pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

"Edible" doesn't necessarily mean "palatable"!

That's exactly what I tell my customers when they ask "is everything edible?" icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%