Paint Question...

Decorating By Iheartcake Updated 7 Aug 2010 , 12:59pm by Iheartcake

Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 5:14pm
post #1 of 5

I'm about to do my first cake where I'll be using gel colours to paint a design on the cake. The colour is going to be Wilton's golden yellow. I've been reading up on how to paint with gels, but my question is...what should the consistency be? The golden yellow is coming out orange, so I've been adding vodka which is helping with the colour, however, to get the colour I want, it's really really liquidy. I'm doing some practicing on fondant and because it's so liquidy, it's bleeding. If I dilute lemon yellow a little, I'm getting a colour I think will work.

Is it supposed to be closer to gel or closer to water consistency?

If it is more like water consistency, do you just keep going over it once it`s dry to get a deeper colour? Any tips/advice would be appreciated!!

4 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 5

The answers are yes and yes. Sometimes to get the right shade you have to go lighter with the gell and heavier with the vodka. Apply lightly in several coats if necessary.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 5

Golden yellow does have a more orangey color to it then the lemon yellow.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 9:19pm
post #4 of 5

I just read a hint in another thread about adding white to any color to make it opaque. It might also lighten it.

Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 12:59pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you all for the replies! For my first time trying this technique, I think it went ok..time consuming, but ok! Once I get the cake assembled, I'll post a pic. I can see having a lot of fun with this technique... icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%